The Return of the Vulcan

Quickbeam 09:26 01 Apr 11

click here They kept this quite, but earlier this week the last flying Vulcan arrived at one of it's old cold war bases. They're hoping to keep it as a permanent home base attraction.

flycatcher1 10:37 01 Apr 11

I remember that 558 was delivered to the Vulcan Operational Conversion Unit (230)at RAF Finningley in the early sixties and spent many years there. In many ways it is going home.
My last interest on 12 July 1966. Happy Days.

Quickbeam 13:32 01 Apr 11

Thanks for confirming that it was based there originally, the report didn't make it too clear and we were surrounded by the many V bomber bases in South Yorks.

As I said they kept it's arrival quite, the printed paper reported that if they hadn't, they expected in excess of 20,000 enthusiasts to descend to see it's arrival!

But now I know it'll be doing 30 airshows this year I'm sure to hear that mightily thunderous roar of Thor again as it takes off:)

Pineman100 17:55 01 Apr 11

Thanks for that nostalgic moment. As a young teenager I lived in Leamington Spa. My best friend and I used to cycle out regularly to the Gaydon V-bomber base and sit at the end of the runway (beside a public road!) watching the Vulcans, Victors and Valiants take off and land.

The Vulcan was always the most impressive - it's huge delta wings cast a massive shadow as it flew over the road only - seemingly - a few feet off the ground. And the sound of its engines virtually rattled your bones!

A truly magnificent aircraft.

Forum Editor 17:59 01 Apr 11

I lived at RAF Lindholme, just along the road from Finningley. I can remember hearing the Vulcans passing overhead at night. They were quite a sight when flying low.

morddwyd 20:03 01 Apr 11

"And the sound of its engines virtually rattled your bones!"

Not just your bones. I remember a young airwoman standing too near a full engine run without the proper (important for females) body armour.

She was in agony from the vibration.

Quickbeam 20:12 01 Apr 11

I live 10 miles away form Finningley. On the years that I didn't go to the airshow, you could still hear the distant thunder of the 3 Vulcan scramble which was the highlight of the show.

When 3 Vulcans take to the air within a minute, you hear the din with your ribcage. There was no virtual rattling of the bones, it was actual!

Condom 01:14 02 Apr 11

Wondeful planes to watch but I had to chuckle at the report about keeping its arrival quiet. That was something Vulcans just didn't do.

Dragon_Heart 03:29 03 Apr 11

I recall an air show when the Vulcan went almost vertical .... every car alarm in the car park went off but you could only hear them AFTER the place had gone :-)

uk-wizard 08:12 03 Apr 11

Have you seen the Russian version? Can be used as a submarine as well. click here

Toneman 09:50 03 Apr 11

Think it's going to cost a copper or two, are you all going to contribute?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced