Return of the Stage Coaching days

Grey Goo 20:05 16 Apr 09

As Electric cars are being mooted as the future of motoring it would appear that to go any distance greater than 40 miles will require staging posts, in order to recharge the batteries.
So from where I live a day trip to Brighton say would require at least 2 recharges to get there and back.
There are several ideas being looked at by rival companies including a battery swap out station to minimise the down time, however a unified system will need to be adopted with similar adapters on each vehicle otherwise it could be chaos.
The most worrying thing is Motorway travel as finding cars running out of power like the non Duracell Rabbit littering the lanes of the M25 doesn't bear thinking about.

peter99co 20:11 16 Apr 09

All the decent cars have a petrol engine on board to charge as they go. The petrol engine does not drive the car, the electric motor does that.

laurie53 20:13 16 Apr 09

I thought some of the modern designs had ranges`in excess of 100 miles?

Grey Goo 20:22 16 Apr 09

Ths Government bribe is for plug-ins only, "Hybrids not included".

peter99co 20:34 16 Apr 09

The available funding would only be for fully electric and plug-in petrol-electric hybrids. As such, currently commercially available hybrids, such as the Toyota Prius, would not be eligible.

The petrol engine does not drive the wheels only the charger system.

WhiteTruckMan 21:51 16 Apr 09

I would like to be too close to the amount of electrical power it would take to drive my juggernaut any useful distance :)

WTM

Forum Editor 22:24 16 Apr 09

It will happen.

An American company already manufactures battery powered trucks that have an eight ton payload and can travel 150 miles at 50mph. Much bigger vehicles are on the drawing board.

I can't see 18 wheel Kenworth rigs running on Lithium cells in the near future, but then twenty years ago you and I would not have envisaged a beautiful battery powered sports car that could do nought to sixty in 3.9 seconds, and run for 240 miles at speeds of up to 60mph, all for a few pence per charge.

click here

Brumas 22:34 16 Apr 09

The environmental benefits section makes very interesting reading.Install solar panels on your dwelling and then use the power to re-charge the batteries - amazing!!

WhiteTruckMan 22:52 16 Apr 09

I didnt say it wouldnt happen - in fact I agree with you - just that the thought of being near so much electrical energy gives me pause for thought. Strangely enough, if we were talking fuel cell technology I wouldnt be as worried, despite the inherent risks associated with hydrogen storage (a notoriously difficult substance to contain.)

WTM

laurie53 06:52 17 Apr 09

"I would like to be too close to the amount of electrical power it would take to drive my juggernaut any useful distance"

The power is likely to be much the same, 12/24 volts or thereabouts.

It's how it is used and at what rate that may cause the problems, much like petrol!

peter99co 10:16 17 Apr 09

I was fishing off Spurn Head when a friend stood on a wooden cover and caused a direct short circuit of a heavy duty battery. The boat owner had tried to make the cover stronger by fitting an alloy bracket under it. The battery blew up into many pieces and we all made a run for the Lifebelts around the boat deck.

When 120 amps let go in one second it is best to be out of the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…