Removing bunldled software froma new system

jack 09:30 13 Aug 05

Perhpas this topic should be a 'Consumer Forum' issue but as I raise it as a discussion point perhaps this is the proper place.

A recent post raised a problem with a new machine
coming up with persisant 'BSD'[Blue Screen of Death]
My advise was - as it is new contact the vendor.
This too was the advice of a\nother of our regular chums.
However further investigation and questioning reveald the probable culprit. An item of bundled software.
The advice then was delete it- as it was a three month free trial any way.
Futher on it was mentioned that a similar machine from the same source the new owner had removed bundled software a put in his own.

So the question I am now raising is, in the event
of the machine having to go back - perhaps for say a component failure- Would the vendor use the software swapping as a lever to limited his responsabilities?

LastChip 10:33 13 Aug 05

For example, I have just bought a laptop one of my daughters to take to university.

It came with Symantec anti-virus software (three month trial), which I detest. The VERY first thing I did was remove it and put my own preferred solution on. In fact, the machine has now been "personalised" to such a degree, it's hardly recognisable as the original product. And by the way, it's considerably faster than the manufacturers configuration. Why? Because I've got rid of all the rubbish they had auto-starting on boot-up.

Looking at this logically, you buy a computer to use. Does that mean in order to maintain a warranty, you are not allowed to use any of your own software for a year? I don't think so!

The other side of the coin is, I wouldn't expect them to sort out a software related problem; most don't anyway. The best you could hope for is a reset to the original configuration, and frankly, that is not unreasonable. You cannot expect any manufacturer to put your machine back to your OWN configuration, it's just not feasible.

I would expect however, in the event of a hardware failure, for it to be fixed under warranty, as in general terms, there is no way software can play a part in hardware failure.

Belatucadrus 11:56 13 Aug 05

For a component failure ? No, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
They would have a case for software problems if you had removed the AV protection and not replaced it. But most manufacturers warranties aren't going to cover that sort of remedial work anyway.

€dstowe 13:57 13 Aug 05

I am lucky in that I have my machines built for me to my specification. If I had to buy on the open market, I would NEVER buy anything that came loaded with anything less than a full version (with disks) of the operating system and no trace of any other software unless I had specifically asked for it.

I well remember the marketing puff and hype of a few years ago where computers from "popular" suppliers - most now defunct - were loaded with software claimed to be worth £2,000 and more. When you came to examine it, the software was mostly out of date, total junk that was a fraction of the quoted value or, that which was of any use was on a time limited trial.

This sales technique appears to be slowly returning.

pj123 14:12 13 Aug 05

Computers, by their very nature are upgradable.

You should be able to install/uninstall software, add new hardware. eg. more memory, another hard disk drive, a cdrw/dvdrw etc without affecting the warranty.

I build computers (on an "as and when" basis) for a local company. I have to put stickers on the case that say "Warranty void if removed" to show if the case has been opened. Technically, the only way the warranty can be made void is if it can be proved that what you have added/taken away caused the problem.

A recent case: Computer switched on and then switched off almost immediately. I checked it out. The owner had recently added more memory and another hard disk drive. The problem turned out to be the PSU had failed. As that had nothing to do with the additions made the PSU was replaced under the warranty.

sattman 09:27 14 Aug 05

In my somewhat limited experience of items failing within the waranty period I have found two separate outlooks, thos who have a reasonable approach, deal with the problem and you come away thinking that was good service. on the other hand their are the mmmmmm well not so good service, they will look for any reason that will allow them to charge the cost to you. In this case any deviation whats so ever from the original build will be enough allow a get out.

And in some ways they may be correct, the point is a computer is unlike most other consumer durables and the users can bring it to its knees in so many different ways even without removing the security sticker.

Forum Editor 10:09 14 Aug 05

it isn't paid for.

Uninstall it at will - a vendor who tried to use the lack of the software as a lever to escape liability under consumer legislation wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

sattman 19:28 14 Aug 05

Looks like they are willing to try if the following is to be taken seriously

Warranty conditions

Alterations, Modifications and Attachments

Any alterations, additions, improvements, or attachments on the Products not authorized in writing by --- ---- shall be solely at the customer’s expense and risk. To the extent that any alteration, addition, improvement, modification, or installation affects the operation of the Products, every warranty under this Agreement including without limitation, the implied warranty of merchantability, shall be deemed waived by the customer and null and void and --- --- shall have no further obligations to the customer hereinafter.

jack 19:57 15 Aug 05

I raised this because a helproomer had a problem with new Dell and it turned out to be Norton.
He had that machine but a week or so and fron the outser lt had problems. The machine came with Norton preinstalled and no disk - hence his problem.
I advised him to speak to supplier before doing anything. Others had other ideas, I guess as with all things it is a case of suck it and see.

fitcher 12:20 19 Aug 05

the first thing I did with my dell laptop was get rid of unwanted software and replaced it with my own .especialy the dvd writing software .I replaced it with nero .and norton trial ..was binned .for avs.... though the dvd playing software is excellent so I left it on .one thing I do not like is the norton ghost recovery that dell use . So when the laptop is out of warrantry .I intend to replace it with a genuine xp system ,as with the memory I will upgraded that also , all in all ,laptop ok to date .touch wood .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…