Remove all doubt about an adequate power supply

gudgulf 21:11 21 Jan 07

If you think your pc might not have enough juice to power those RAID arrays and high end graphics cards, the answer to your prayers has just been released.

No need for all those time consuming visits to power calculating websites.

click here

microcoder 22:00 21 Jan 07

I've got one of those Ultra X3 but it is only a 500W.

Can't really see why individuals waste money on non- commercial use of Raid.

The nano Gamer and loses it all!
The nany Insecure and keeps copies of Tesco order!

gudgulf 22:12 21 Jan 07

I agree about RAID.....I've trawled the net looking for a convincing argument for RAID on a home,or even bleeding edge gaming pc.

Not found one that convinces me yet...the nearest I've come to thinking about trying it is a RAID 10 set up.

But I don't need enough hard drives to run one of those,lol.

It's for the "must have the technology because it's there" mentality (or corporate user).

As for the 2KW psu....even the manufacturers admit to overkill!

Stuartli 22:40 21 Jan 07

Unfortunately it's a bit underpowered for my needs.

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:17 22 Jan 07

I bet you've got a usb powered toaster!

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:17 22 Jan 07

I bet you've got a usb powered toaster!

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:18 22 Jan 07

Haven't done that for a while.

wolfie3000 01:08 23 Jan 07

"I've trawled the net looking for a convincing argument for RAID on a home,or even bleeding edge gaming pc."

Well its all about having the latest kit when it comes to gamers,

Having the latest "Pimped out" rig is a must for the hardcore gamer,
Its like having a porsche or a ferrari, no use on british roads but you can boast about the look and the hardware inside.

I have four green neon lights in my pc, no use but it looks cool.

You see what im getting at here?

BTW i have a raid array :)

gudgulf 15:00 23 Jan 07

"You see what im getting at here?"

Of course I do,lol.It's a valid enough reason to do it,certainly,but not the real world performance based evidence I was looking for.

I have to say my web search produced some very entertaining and "heated" arguments.Great fun in a Geeky sort of way.

"Well its all about having the latest kit when it comes to gamers,"

Well I game as much as I can....wife,work and kids permitting and I'll go for the best kit I can get.

But limited funds mean that tuning my system for optimum overall system performance and using the best graphics card I can afford works best for me.

Understanding exactly what gives the best performance combinations is vital here....hence my search for enlightenment.

Of course I would happily accept enlightenment in the form of a large lottery win and a money no object system...but until then it's a "more sense than money" approach I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac