//some 3rd party need geo

Remote assistance

spikeychris 19:55 12 Jul 04

How many members have used the RA to sort out problems on others computers? Personally I use it all the time as thats part of the gig. If I am right then I think its very under used and its such a waste of a fantastic resource. Rather than asking users the same old questions I just remotely log into their machine and get on with it.

accord 19:57 12 Jul 04

ive never had the need to use this but i can see the benefits of it. A useful piece of software if ever there was one.

Chegs ® 23:31 12 Jul 04

I usually use "RealVNC" as I find its easier to sort out than RA in XP.Even my mother(in Spain)could follow my install instructions so I could "take control" of her machine to sort out her emails problem. ;-)

james55 23:35 12 Jul 04

spikeychris

I agree it is a nifty piece of resource, and of course someone with your experience will do a great job, I know this with your postings.

However in my experience (not just computers) some people talk a good talk but when it comes to the crunch make a mess of things.

I think the point I am trying to make is how do you know who to trust with your computer when it is remote.

Jim.

Forum Editor 23:55 12 Jul 04

and for my money it is without doubt the best new thing that came built in to WindowsXP. Since its arrival I have been able to stop visiting some of my clients altogether, which saves some time for me and some money for them.

Djohn 02:44 13 Jul 04

Not needed it yet but would gladly use it for help if needed. I think most of us know who we could trust to take control of our PC's for a while. Yes, I mean members of this forum and there are quite a few names that come to mind who I would feel comfortable in handing over control to.

hooligan 15:39 13 Jul 04

Does it only work with xp ? so if i had a promlem and could not do, someone else ie spikey, could fix it without me needing a enginer to come to my house. is that right ?

Djohn 15:55 13 Jul 04

Spikey, myself or anyone with your permission can take over the controls of your PC from across the country. If I had remote access to your PC, I would see your desktop on my screen and be able to move your cursor here, there and everywhere.

You would sit back and watch as your curse moved seemingly with a mind of it's own to open/close programs/applications and alter settings to your system. Instead of you trying to explain the problem, the person with remote access will be able to see it and if knowing the answer, correct it. ;o)

powerless 20:27 13 Jul 04

It's fandiddlytastic.

hooligan 21:52 13 Jul 04

Its amazing,

Gaz W 22:10 13 Jul 04

but I've often thought I'd like to try it. The only thing that worries me about it is I don't know how secure it is. Would it do any damage if I used it to get a virus off someone's PC?

I don't know many people who would be completely trusting of it unless I could explain (which means understanding) that it's safe. The other thing is I'd need remote assistance just to get them to start remote assitance!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…