Rememberance Sunday at the Cenotaph

Brumas 12:55 12 Nov 06

Pride and quiet dignity. Still cannot watch without a tear at the back of my eye.

The Brigadier 13:01 12 Nov 06

A day to remember those who paid the highest sacrifice to enable the rest of us to live.

And a time to show respect to others who came home some badly injured or with painful memories, but also for those whom are still fighting wars in foreign places all over the world for Queen and Country.

Today was a day to pay our respect to these brave Men and Women.

Bob The Nob© 13:14 12 Nov 06

I went to my local Cenotaph as a member of the scouts, I go every year but one thing that stands out is how much 'praise the lord' and 'lord we love you'.
Its organised by the sali army so I expect some referances to God but every year there is no real mention of the soldiers the diesd in ww1&2 or any other war, there is no metion of the troops in iraq.
No matter how much I disagree withthe war in Iraq or any war, I pay my respects.
I think the tradional irish song 'Green Fields of France' should be played everywhere on rememberance day because it is a song about war and its a sad song. I prefer the Dropkick Murphys Version but others are good too.

Other Irish People whom have sung it
click here

Murphys have sung this song well. I really wish I could have posted this online for you all to hear on this day. You would all appriciate it for what it stands for.

Bob The Nob©

Bob The Nob© 13:16 12 Nov 06

Heres the chorus of the song
click here

Bob The Nob©

mymate 13:25 12 Nov 06

Same for me Brumas,very moving .

Jim Thing 13:41 12 Nov 06

"Pride and quiet dignity. " And very, very British. Well said, Brumas.

The annual march past the Cenotaph is a powerful and genuinely moving reminder that this country still has decent and dignified people in it, despite what many of us see around us every day.

In the words of the song: Bless 'em All.

Bob The Nob© 13:49 12 Nov 06

Although it probably sounded as though I have a rant, I find it a very peaceful quiet day all round and the soldiers are remebered. Don't think I'm an insensative git.

Brumas 14:46 12 Nov 06

I much prefer The Furey's version, it is sung with much more pathos - however , each to his own.

Brumas 15:10 12 Nov 06

Never quite sure - should that have been
The Fureys' version - damn apostrophe!

Bob The Nob© 16:02 12 Nov 06

Fureys version is very much like Dropkick's but Dropkick's is slighty faster and more passionate in my view anyhoo!

Bob The Nob© 16:04 12 Nov 06

Forgot to say, It down't matter who sings it.
It always means the same thing and I think it would make good closing credits for the March they show on the beeb.

Bob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced