Remember Shacleton's Scotch...

Quickbeam 12:42 18 Jan 11

It's now back in Scotland click here

Those were the days, when essential explorer supplies included several cases of Scotch to wash the pemmican down with!

uk-wizard 12:47 18 Jan 11

I think the taster will have fun. I wonder If he will share the sample out.

Quickbeam 13:06 18 Jan 11

You won't have to wait too long now for the McKinlay's Shackleton blend, best enjoyed with a dash of the South Atlantic:)

peter99co 14:05 18 Jan 11

Unless someone knows more about the original maker. It will be interesting to see what is produced from the anaysis.

Could be moved to try a bottle if they don't inflate the price to much.

interzone55 16:31 18 Jan 11

It's only recently that single malt whiskies have been popular.
Until the 70's most whiskies sold were blends like Teachers, Famous Grouse, Chivas Regal etc, but now the marketing types have realised they can sell the main malt from the blends separately, usually at increased price.

I've recently discovered this little gem of a malt from Glenrothes - click here - which for decades has been used by Berry Bros as the base of some of their blends, but is now being widely sold. I think it's just passed 15yr old Glenfiddich as my favourite tipple.

Quickbeam 17:04 18 Jan 11

Nothing wrong with a good blended whisky, I rate Johnnie Walker black label equal or better than a lot of the average malts.

Quickbeam 17:06 18 Jan 11

Shackleton Black label...

Forum Editor 17:19 18 Jan 11

Just as well, because all whisky is blended.

The great advantage to blending is the ability to maintain a consistent standard of taste.

Lots of whisky drinkers don't realise that single malts are blended, but they are - distilleries produce small batch runs, and then blend them to achieve consistency. Even blending doesn't eliminate variations in single malts,although the bigger distilleries have more batches to blend from, and therefore more chance of achieving consistency.

Quickbeam 17:29 18 Jan 11

Probably the biggest difference in drinking whiskies in the last 50 or 60 years is that they used to drink a 'whisky and soda', which is why the older blends tend to be quite fiery compared to the ones drunk now with little or nothing added. Hague was a particularly fiery one that you never see now. Don't be 'vague, ask for Hague' was the selling line.

interzone55 21:01 18 Jan 11

"all whisky is blended"

Yes it is.
"Single Malt" is a blend of several batches from the same distillery, they're then watered down to the desired strength (40% is usual, older malts are often 43%). Some distilleries release Single Barrel malts that are just that. These are usually in the 50-65% region.

I once visited the Four Roses distillery in Kentucky and their blender takes bourbon from up to 15 casks in three different warehouses to make the Yellow Label product.

"Blended whisky" is a blend of malt from several distilleries, and the likes of Bells, Johnnie Walker et al are keeping many small distilleries alive. Some whisky never sees the light of day outside of blended scotch, and this is a real shame, although Gordon & MacPhail of Elgin buy up barrels from small distilleries for private bottlings and there are many delights to be found in their shop on South Street in Elgin

click here

peter99co 21:41 18 Jan 11

Good Links provided.

I now have a better source of info now.

Had a look at my current malts and found I got them at a good price. (Singleton and Jura)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac