Remember real spam?

Legolas 21:30 05 Dec 07

The thread about electronic spam got me thinking about what I knew as spam before the introduction of computers and email.

I remember as a child getting spam quite often for my tea and on more than one occasion getting a variation of cold spam the "spam fritter" As a child I quite liked them but I tried them a few years ago as an adult and they were not good.

I suppose spam was made famous by the brilliantly funny spam song by the Monty Python team.

When growing I never gave it a second thought when I got spam for tea but looking back I suspect spam night was a Thursday when the weekly food money was beginning to run out.

Memories strange what can invoke them.

Al94 21:31 05 Dec 07

Here it is click here

Legolas 21:38 05 Dec 07

Thats the one still very funny.

€dstowe 22:12 05 Dec 07

The Spam that is obtainable now doesn't seem anything like the product I remember from when I was young.

The current product is very similar to what we used to know as "popped ham and chalk" (chopped ham and pork) and that was distinctly different to Spam.

laurie53 08:21 06 Dec 07

Got half a dozen tins in the cupboard, have it at least once a week.

Tastes just the same as the first time I had it, out of a US food parcel in 1943.

Don't try the "light" version though, it's rubbish.

JP1011 14:37 06 Dec 07

I've had the 2 special versions recently, "the stinky french garlic" and "real bacon" both where tasty.

Koochy 14:39 06 Dec 07

I used to love it as a kid but i think as with all the other stuff i told my mother i liked i got sick of it and i can't even bring myself to eat it now.

K

pj123 14:47 06 Dec 07

Yes, I remember it. Absolutely awful stuff. Didn't like it at all. The same goes for its "sister/brother" Corned Beef.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos