Remember the Chritopher Jeffries Vilification?

Quickbeam 18:14 29 Jul 11
  Quickbeam 18:15 29 Jul 11

Now the papers have had to answer for their hysterical actions.

morddwyd 20:55 29 Jul 11

Paradoxically, we should all be thankful for this.

It shows we have a free press who will go right up to, and sometimes beyond, the edge to find a story, and it shows that that press can be held to account when they go too far.

This gives the lie to all those who would see the press under some sort of government control.

Aitchbee 07:20 03 Aug 11

I have not bought a newspaper for 15 years. The local 'rag' is the 'Daily Record'.The free Metro is a far superior read.This is the 'free press'.HB

interzone55 13:52 03 Aug 11

AitchBEE

The Metro is mostly the scrapings from yesterday's Daily Mail with a few things nicked from the News at Ten the night before.

Not really worth the effort of picking it up from the racks in the bus station.

I'm not sure I follow morddwyd's rational. Yes, we have a free press, but they've successfully ruined the reputation of an innocent man in their relentless pursuit of their version of the truth.

They seem to be constantly crying out against a privacy law, but their actions seem to make one more likely every time something like this happens...

daz60 14:07 03 Aug 11

His reputation has been destroyed,irrespective of any apology or compensation the finger of suspicion will be pointing at him.

Newspapers these days are nothing but advertising copy and gossip,there are few if any !journalists" worthy of that title.The "free" ones are the litterbugs favourite throwaway.

I am in agreement with Alan14's final sentence.I would add the "hacking" crew to that.

zzzz999 08:26 04 Aug 11

Morddwyd, are you being serious? The press behaved with little concern for the law or for what it could potentially do to an innocent man. It was vile in the extreme and I would not have been surprised if the guy had been found hanging. That is not a free press, that is rabble rousing, that is the baying mob. No truth or justice ever came from a baying mob.

morddwyd 09:01 04 Aug 11

Yes, perfectly serious.

As you say, the press behaved with little regard for the law and now, like everyone else, they must face the consequences.

I take your point about the victim's possible reaction, but would a government controlled press, for that is the only real alternative, have been allowed to get so deep into the expenses exposure?

There are penalties to having a free press, just as there are to living in a democracy, but, on the whole, the good outweighs the bad.

As always, just my view, I know others will disagree.

Quickbeam 10:37 04 Aug 11

"Yes, perfectly serious."

And if Jeffries had topped himself, that would be a real serious case of tough titty against Jeffries in the defence of the freedom of the press.

zzzz999 12:21 04 Aug 11

The alternative to the vile behaviour of the press is not the extreme you envisage. To date the press has policed itself with virtually nil effect. A proper independent press complaints commission with real teeth would provide us with better guarantees of fairness.

zzzz999 12:21 04 Aug 11

The alternative to the vile behaviour of the press is not the extreme you envisage. To date the press has policed itself with virtually nil effect. A proper independent press complaints commission with real teeth would provide us with better guarantees of fairness.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…