Remakes of films

Quickbeam 18:46 19 Jun 09

It's often that I think the remake of a favourite film is better than the original.

I've just watched the original of 'The Flight of the Phoenix' on film four, the remake was on a couple of weeks ago, and I find the remake to have taken the lead in my opinion.

As opposed to 'The Ladykillers', where the original Ealing production wins hands down.

Quickbeam 18:46 19 Jun 09

'not often'...

Armchair 18:57 19 Jun 09

I really like the original. It has a superb cast, and it's a real 'man's film'. The recent re-make is good, you say? I must check it out. Haven't seen the Ladykillers re-make either. The original is very good.

I usually don't bother watching re-makes. eg Get Carter, The Italian Job, Psycho.....

The Thing is better than the roiginal Thing From Another World, imo. Can't think of any others offhand.

gardener 19:11 19 Jun 09

Most remakes seem pretty pointless. Usually the original is the best. However one that I think worked was the remake of La Cage Au Folles, The Birdcage. Absolutely hilarious.

JYPX 19:34 19 Jun 09

I thought the re-make of 3-10 to Yuma was a wonderfull film. Now I want to see the 1957 original version.

Quickbeam 19:49 19 Jun 09

I think Clint Eastwood could make really gritty remakes of 'The Gunfighter', 'High Noon' and 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance'. Directed by and staring himself.

I can't wait for the boxed DVDs of them...:)

Armchair 20:07 19 Jun 09

Noo! Don't remake High Noon! It's nigh on perfect already. Liberty Valance doesn't really need a remake either.

Re. 3.10 To Yuma. I haven't seen the roiginal, but I thought the recent film was just plain daft and over the top.

amonra 20:27 19 Jun 09

It's the same in shops. When I see "New Improved..." it's time to walk away. Most re-makes seem to be dire.
As quickbeam said earlier, the Ealing version of "The Lady killers" was British comedy at its very best, especially the old biddy who owned the house, she stole the film.

Quickbeam 00:43 30 Jun 09

Didn't know there was a remake. Just watching it now staring Samuel L Jackson on Film 4.

It's got all the '70s jazz funk guitar in the sound track and even the scene change effects like on a computer slide show. Better than the original, I could never get into that.

Strawballs 04:16 30 Jun 09

War of the worlds wasn't as good as the original but that was nothing like the book at all, ie the 6 artillery men and the thunderchild were able to bring them down and in the film an atomic bomb didn't touch them.

I would like to see the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still I thought the original was great.

Bingalau 07:29 30 Jun 09

They certainly couldn't do a re-make of "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers", and musicals such as the ones starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers could they?

Films like "High Noon" they should certainly leave alone. The remakes of "Flight Of The Phoenix" and "War Of The Worlds" were rubbish compared with the originals. Of course other people will think differently but that's my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…