religious freedom?

Teaboy 17:52 14 Aug 10

What are the thoughts of forum re the latest comments of the US resident regarding the building of a mosque in Time Square?

Is the objection of many Americans reasonable? Are they wrong in feeling insulted by a moslem edifice at the scene of massive murder by a group of moslem fanatics.

Has their objections anything to do with religion?

Forum Editor 18:16 14 Aug 10

shouldn't colour a nation's attitude to all Muslims, but I can vouch for the fact that for many Americans it has done just that - a national opinion poll held last week showed that 70% of Americans are opposed to the plan to incorporate a mosque into a new Islamic centre.

New York is one of the world's most multi-cultural cities, and when you go there you realise just how many different racial and cultural groups coexist, side by side. The city works pretty well, and although there is some racial and cultural intolerance it's not unduly apparent - people just get on with their lives. This issue seems to have stirred people up in a big way however, and now that their President has shown publicly that he supports the scheme there are bound to be some some pretty forceful protests as opinions polarise.

Are people wrong to feel insulted by the plan? That depends on your point of view - those who lost loved ones in the 9/11 attack are certainly more likely to take offence, and who's to say they're wrong? On the other hand, there has to be time when the wounds which opened that day in the American psyche begin to heal, and perhaps that can begin when the new buildings on the site are completed and occupied. The vast majority of American Muslims must have been shocked outraged when the attacks took place, and they've had to live with the legacy - perhaps America can find it in itself to allow those people some hope for the future, too.

"Has their objections anything to do with religion?"

Not really - this is a cultural thing. Americans don't feel good about Islam because of what happened, not because they can't tolerate different religions - America is awash with different faiths - but because they had their sense of national invulnerability badly shaken on that fateful day, and they haven't yet got over it. For the first time in their lives ordinary Americans realised that the outside world could reach right into their homeland and hurt them, and they didn't like it one bit.

jakimo 18:36 14 Aug 10

Isn't it more likely that non Muslims object to the building of Islamic centres anywhere, because of what the Koran preach about unbelievers of the Islamic faith.

Bingalau 19:13 14 Aug 10

America is still being hurt by the repercussions of that treacherous day. They are losing members of their armed forces every day in Afghanistan.

So I for one don't blame them one little bit for being 70% against it. I would have thought it would be more like 100%.

sunnystaines 19:19 14 Aug 10

on fox news a wealthy american has threatened to open a gay bar either next door or opp the mosque if its built.

I think the best all round option is let them built but get them to delay the building till memories of 9/11 age.

961 19:27 14 Aug 10

A well reasoned post

Extremists on both sides hurt the lives of the majority, who just want to get on with their lives

It's the same in the UK, not helped by our desire to be the World's policeman

morddwyd 19:57 14 Aug 10

I'm all for religious freedom, but this is, at best, insensitive.

What will be next, a Shinto shrine on the Arizona?

Legolas 21:34 14 Aug 10

I think it is more where it is being built rather than what is being built that most Americans object to.

WhiteTruckMan 22:01 14 Aug 10

within such a short distance of the site of such an outrage shows - to me at least - a staggering lack of tact and taste on the part of the people responsible.

Some may even view it as a deliberately provocative move. Sadly, I wish I could disprove this view, but I am unable to.

WTM

wolfie3000 22:19 14 Aug 10

I think its a bloody disgrace,
Its nothing short of metaphorically urinating on every 9/11 victim.

click here

peter99co 22:21 14 Aug 10

Could it be a case of "Turn the other cheek"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5