Relative Values

peter99co 12:19 28 Sep 09

A warship, which was launched in 1991 and cost £140m to build has seized its biggest haul of cocaine, estimating its street value at £240m.

The warship was involved in two operations which seized cocaine with an estimated street value totalling £39m.

Now that has to be value for money!

click here

Quickbeam 12:20 28 Sep 09

"Now that has to be value for money!"
Only if they're allowed to sell in on the streets!

oresome 12:29 28 Sep 09

Will this latest seizure make any discernable difference to the availability of drugs?

If it puts the street price up, will this limit consumption or increase the level of crime undertaken to finance the habit?

jack 12:37 28 Sep 09

I though here we go another PR stunt that is either poorly put together/edited- it was full of
How/What/Why?
Reading this report and taking a para from the commanders comments
"He said he could not confirm for operational reasons whether intelligence had directed the Iron Duke to the vessel"
Answered a few of my questions.
So much news these day is full of 'holes'
Likje the lady who misdirected a payment and the bank could not/would not help to sort it.
Or to day two mothers swapping childcare being brought to book - only some of the detail gone into leaves a lot of questions.

OTT_Buzzard 12:48 28 Sep 09

Point taken, but full & thorough journalism is difficult for the vast majority to read or absorb, and too expensive and time consuming to write.

In the world as it is now, news has to be out there as it happens, not after it's researched!

I prefer just not to believe anything I read in the press....except PCA, of course!

dagbladet 13:27 28 Sep 09

jack

What are you suggesting? That the drug bust was invented?

Regarding the reluctance to reveal detail regarding intelligence etc, what would you have him do? Reveal how they managed to be at the right place at the right time?

john bunyan 13:54 28 Sep 09

The service people involved should be congratulated, and so should those who , in dangerous circumstances sometimes, gather the intelligence on these issues. The guys doing it are in no way responsible for the world demand for this stuff, and the war on drugs will never be won while the demand exists.
A year or two ago a big drug "baron" was lifted out of his comfort zone in a S American country where he was paying for protection, to a US warship offshore by some very brave guys - let us praise them and not mock them.

peter99co 14:50 28 Sep 09

I bet the owners of the cargo are a bit peeved.

wee eddie 15:26 28 Sep 09

that interest me.

Cynical ~ moi!

interzone55 16:04 28 Sep 09

"Or to day two mothers swapping childcare being brought to book - only some of the detail gone into leaves a lot of questions"

What questions do you need answering, as it all seems pretty clear to me. Petty bureaucrats justifying their existence and flying in the face of common sense as usual.

The only question I can think of is who informed OFSTED of the arrangement? Likely that someone recently arrested by one of the officers decided to give her some grief...

OTT_Buzzard 16:15 28 Sep 09

"Likely that someone recently arrested by one of the officers decided to give her some grief.."

That appears to me to be the least likely of scenarios.

What on earth would cause a serving police officer to discuss their personal child care arrangements with someone they've arrested?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac