Red Elastic Bands

interzone55 10:43 19 Apr 10

I noticed an increase in the number of red elastic bands dropped by the local posties.

I thought I'd read somewhere last year that Royal Mail had instructed posties to put the bands in their bags for reuse, but it doesn't seem to be happening round my way.

I live on a little estate of 4 houses with a court yard at the front, and whilst tidying up the area last week I picked up a couple of dozen bands, this weekend there were another six that had been dropped during the week.

Surely it's just as easy to drop the empty bands in their bag as it is to drop it on the floor, and these bands can cause quite a choking hazard for dogs and small children.

Seeing as the angrier areas of the press are full of stories of people being fined for dropping litter, shouldn't the local authorities be putting pressure on the Royal Mail to clamp down on this laziness...

peter99co 11:19 19 Apr 10

We (2) collected them at work and made a ball 5 inch diameter in less than two years. Forgot to weigh it but it was pretty hefty.

It is a stupid lazy attitude they have adopted.

Al94 11:28 19 Apr 10

Great source of free bands though!

interzone55 13:46 19 Apr 10

They're not free though.

The bands are paid for by the Royal Mail, who are funded from stamps and government subsidies, so every penny they waste comes out of our pockets...

jack 14:48 19 Apr 10

Some posties are conscientious others are not so much.
They have a domestic use so keep them - after all you have paid for them so to speak.

If you want to get 'jobs worthy' you could put a batch in an envelope - with a note 'As collected from the pavement of --- --- [postcode] and your postie may be spoken to- of course you then runs the risk if no post at all ;-}

sunnystaines 14:58 19 Apr 10

used to see loads litter our road not seen them for ages, perhaps a local resident is making a ball too.

johndrew 15:24 19 Apr 10

These bands are at least biodegradable (unlike some that are of the musical(?) type) an will simply perish in the sunlight (related to vampires?).

If you keep them they will require using/replacing in short order.

Whilst it is apparently RM policy to get posties to retain them, it is also policy for the individual to walk at a brisk pace (etc.). I can see a conflict here if posties continually stop to collect/pocket rubber bands.

Have a bit of compassion for those out in all weathers with targets to achieve; without them you would need to go to your local centre to collect your own mail from a box as is the case in some other countries. Then who would get wet/cold and be blamed for the rubber bands??

interzone55 15:29 19 Apr 10

"Whilst it is apparently RM policy to get posties to retain them, it is also policy for the individual to walk at a brisk pace (etc.). I can see a conflict here if posties continually stop to collect/pocket rubber bands"

So you can't walk at a brisk pace whilst dropping bands in your bag, but you can whilst dropping them on the floor.

BT 16:37 19 Apr 10

Very true!

In the 'old' days when they used the brown rubber ones they were a useful resource. Now the red ones, although reusable, rapidly deteriorate over a relatively short period of time. Perhaps this is why the Posties don't keep 'em. They wouldn't want them breaking and getting all their carefully sorted bundles of letters getting mixed up again.

ronalddonald 16:39 19 Apr 10

Im not surprised since the posties walk has been increased with higher volume of loads and heavier bags. Hence they are finishing later and not being paid for it.

peter99co 22:50 19 Apr 10

They get paid to do a days work! How long is your day?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5