Recycling window envelopes

VNAM75 20:06 01 Dec 08

When sorting out my junk mail I usually tear out the plastic window from the envelope and throw it in the bin, and the remainder of the envelope and letters/leaflets goes in the recycle bin. I also tear the corner were my name & address is printed and rip that up and dispose.

Is it necesaary to remove the plastic window from envelopes?

VCR97 20:12 01 Dec 08

Yes, according to my local council. The plastic contaminates the processed waste, as does the gum on the flap.

Quickbeam 20:14 01 Dec 08

I really can't believe anyone could be so conscientious as to think of that! I jus' throw the lot in the recycle bin.

Coffee Adict 20:18 01 Dec 08

Have just received my new recycling leaflet and it says they will now accept non-window envelopes, Yellow Pages and telephone directories, all previously banned from the recycling boxes, so the answer is yes if your council will accept envelopes.

VNAM75 20:35 01 Dec 08

Thats good to know, I'd thought I was being over the top.

spuds 22:28 01 Dec 08

Waste paper is now down to £1.00 a tonne, because no one wants it.Even metals and other recycle products have decreased in scrap value.

laurie53 08:23 02 Dec 08

My council even accepts drink cartons with plastic closures in the paper recycling bin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…