Recycle Bags dropped through the letter box

Chas49 14:19 28 Jul 09

I hold, I think, a record for these - 10 in just over a fortnight!

I see now that these bags are all printed, would I be correct in thinking that these collections are developing into big business?

Surely they must realise that, with so many organisations delivering these bags that the recipient, even if willing, couldn’t possibly hope to satisfy their needs.

Are many of them just people out to make money out of the clothes – not for charity but for themselves? If genuine, are they ‘shooting themselves in the foot’ by making the householder sceptical and then simply ignoring all of them?

wiz-king 15:18 28 Jul 09

Yes.
Almost any thing covers the cost of the bag and delivery.
Yes.
No - say charity or something similar and most people will still give.

Bingalau 16:17 28 Jul 09

I use mine for putt in the rubbish in before depositing it in my waste wheelie bin, helps to keep the bin clean.

I give to charity when I can afford it and most of my cast offs go to the local cancer research shop.

Chas49 17:57 28 Jul 09

Snap!

That's what I use them for. Acorn have any cast offs I may have and the Staffs Helicopter the charity.

Colin 18:58 28 Jul 09

I put the empty bags outside on the day of collection for re-use, but they are usually never picked up.

Stuartli 23:01 28 Jul 09

Most of them are for genuine charities, but some are a scam and easy to spot, usually consisting of a leaflet/flyer pushed through the letter box.

The clothes are sorted out and then sold, with the rest disposed of as and when possible.

I did inform one (genuine) collector that there is a limit to the amount of unwanted clothing and other items any household can provide over a period of a few weeks...:-)

dagnammit 23:17 28 Jul 09

I'm like Bingalau I use the bag for rubbish.

One firm that collects is owned by the uncle of an idiot (he works for them too) that I don't like and I have let them collect unidentifiable rubbish from my door. ;)

Our unwanted clothes get put into a recycle bin (similar to a glass bank) at the local shops.

spuds 00:44 29 Jul 09

We seem to get at least two reminders a week to donate our 'left-offs' for some good charitable scheme or other. Of the two companies that I know locally. One sorts out the items, and anything good is usually bundled up and sold to 2nd hand traders or car booters. The cloth rubbish is usually turned into wipers etc. The other company is run by Eastern European people!.

Another leaflet scheme in recent weeks, is for old gold or valuable items. "Give us a call, and we will visit within the hour, and give a genuine honest offer on any items that you have for disposal". Always seems to be a mobile phone number on the leaflets though, never an address.

BT 08:16 29 Jul 09

"there is a limit to the amount of unwanted clothing and other items any household can provide over a period of a few weeks...:-)"

The area where I live is generally mainly older people, and we get at least 2 of these bags every week, mainly from the major charities like AgeConcern, RSPCA, etc. Even then you see the filled bags outside the same houses on a regular basis. The younger households, like my next door neighbours, put out loads of stuff. I suppose its the throw away culture where they buy clothes and only wear them a few times till they go out of fashion, then replace them. When my clothes are thrown out they are only fit for the rag bag.

Armchair 08:20 29 Jul 09

THE END

BT 08:42 29 Jul 09

Now that's just a waste. If you don't want to use them for their purpose, they are useful for other things as many people have said. Even if you fill them with rubbish before you put them in the bin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now