Recommend a web-radio station, site or service

David Price 17:28 02 Sep 10

Thanks to everyone who recommended online learning sites (click here). Particular thanks - and indeed congratulations - to gardener, who wins this month's Readers' Sites competition (and a small prize) for recommending the superb Natural History Museum website (click here).

To challenge for gardener's crown, or simply get your name in the magazine, all you have to do is recommend a web radio site.

We're primarily interested in the online side of things, so we're not really looking for 'Radio 1' or similar - unless you feel a radio station has added great features to take advantage of the online medium.

You could simply recommend your favourite online station. Or you could tell us your favourite listings site - one of the many sites that collect together their pick of the many thousands of radio stations available online.

Alternatively, you could recommend one of the sophisticated services that allow you to set up your own personalised web radio, tailoring its playlists to your musical tastes.

We want to hear about your online listening habits, so add your recommendations (and why you'd recommend them) to this thread, or email them to [email protected].

Thanks,
David Price
PCA

Armchair 18:07 02 Sep 10

I normally just play music stored on my hard drive, using WMP, when I'm online. I did used to listen to American and Canadian radio stations, via Radio-Locator,

click here

but I haven't done that for years.

dastardly mutt 18:30 02 Sep 10

click here

Lists 13,000+ stations from around the world. It is freeware, skinable and you can add to the station list. You are also setup your favourites.

mr simon 18:41 02 Sep 10

click here

Last FM gets my vote, especially for the apps for Android/iPhone etc, it will play new artists based on previous ones that you've enjoyed. A great way to discover new music.

john bunyan 19:08 02 Sep 10

I use Radiotracker 6 , a paid for programme which acts like the old days of taping "Top of the Pops" on a reel to reel recorder. You can let it search thousands of FM stations and record selected artists or songs in MP3 format, and edit them. I know about DRM but taping pop songs for personal use has gone on for over 40 years!

Noldi 19:17 02 Sep 10

BBC, normally 5 live.

Noldi

sunnystaines 20:57 02 Sep 10

sometimes choose random spots on here to listen too

click here

wolfie3000 00:52 03 Sep 10

Theres not many good Metal stations out there in internet land but Chronix is about the best.

click here

They cater for all sorts of genres of metal too.

morddwyd 09:58 03 Sep 10

Reciva is the one I use if I'm looking for anything in particular.

User friendly and with a wide range.

There's also Frontier Silicon, but Reciva is my favourite.

babybell 11:51 03 Sep 10

click here

I discovered this site when my rugby club set me a challenge of getting a congratulations message from a radio station in America. This site lists not just every online streaming radio station in the UK, or indeed America, but from EVERY country in the world!

Click Stations by Location and choose from Asia, Europe, Americas etc and drill down into the country, district/states and finally the town.

Using this site I've got shoutouts from small time radio stations in 12 American states as well as a national radio station.

Also, we had a shoutout from New Zealand as well!

john bunyan 16:16 03 Sep 10

Thanks for the link, a great site, will bookmark it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5