Recent MEP Election: Selection method for another MEP?

spuds 20:06 05 Jun 14
Answered

With the recent MEP election results, UKIP gained quite a number of seats. One of those seats was returned to Roger Helmer for UKIP. It would appear that Roger Helmer is going to stand as a MP in the forthcoming Newark election, and if he does, the rules seem to state that an MEP cannot also hold the position of MP.

If he wins the Newark election and resigns as an MEP, what will happen to his seat as an MEP, who will fill the vacancy and gain that seat?.

spuds 20:09 05 Jun 14

Will it be the next person on the previous list from the same party, or is there another method of selection?.

Forum Editor 22:41 05 Jun 14

"...the rules seem to state that an MEP cannot also hold the position of MP."

That is correct, so what happens if an MEP stands for, and wins, a seat in our national parliament?

In some Member States (Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Croatia, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal and here in the UK) EU parliament seats which fall vacant are allocated to the first un-elected candidate on the same list (possibly after adjustment to reflect the votes obtained by the candidates).

spuds 23:49 05 Jun 14

"EU parliament seats which fall vacant are allocated to the first un-elected candidate on the same list (possibly after adjustment to reflect the votes obtained by the candidates)."

UKIP came in first with 368.734 votes, which gave them 2 seats. Conservatives came in second with 291.270 votes, winning 2 seats, and Labour third with 279.363 votes, which gave Labour 1 seat.

So which party would gain the vacant seat, if one became vacant of the five allocated. Would I be correct in thinking that it would be the third listed UKIP candidate, if Roger Helmer resigned the MEP position?.

H Dresser. 09:52 06 Jun 14

Methinks Mr. Clegg is for the chop, very soon.

spuds 10:58 06 Jun 14

So it looks like Roger Helmer played the ace card and won, still retaining a political position?.

What brought my original question, was a remark that the second Labour candidate 'only' lost out by 0.05% of the vote results, which seems to me, can explain how complicated the EU voting system might be.

Had that been a English, Irish, Welsh or Scottish general or council election, the person with the majority of votes would have won and not the political party.

What I also found surprising, was how the EU voting system works in Northern Ireland, because it would appear different to that of the rest of the UK?.

fourm member 12:21 06 Jun 14

Jock1e

'In the quest for more power he went into a coalition with the Tory Party which I suppose was a good idea at the time.'

Another way to look at it would be that Clegg felt that having a minority government at a time of economic crisis was not a good idea.

And the Tories, of course, are trying to take credit for the policies that the LibDems were able to get accepted such as the huge personal allowance increase.

Joseph Kerr 02:18 07 Jun 14

I can see both sides. The angry Labourite in me says "Clegg acted like a King maker and is now just a punch bag, and it serves him right; had he resisted the temptation, perhaps we would even have been able to force the Tories out by now...".

However, he has tried to do some good, and has somewhat succeeded. Of course, some are assuming the policies in question were Tory ones which is bizarre to me, but there you go.

spuds 10:28 07 Jun 14

It looks as though the subject I raised appears to have gone off track?.

So back to the subject, but perhaps putting it in a different manner. Of the five elected, and if one resigned, who would have got the vacant position for MEP, based on the voting system used for England, Wales and Scotland. Would it have been the third in line for UKIP, or another candidate from another political party?.

In the case and votes shown, only one seat was gained by Labour, but the second candidate for Labour as stated that they only missed out by 0.05% of the votes?.

spuds 10:28 10 Jun 14
Answer

Looks like no one as the formula for the EU voting system that covers the UK votes submitted. I suppose it one of those very complicated issues, that only those involved, actually know. Would have been nice to have been able to find out though, especially how the East Midland candidates gained or lost seats.

Ticked, unless someone wants to add further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac