Recent events in London

Happy Soul 00:56 15 Jul 05

got me thinking. There must be vast amounts of data having to be processed by the police and security forces, especially at this time.

I wondered if it would be possible for these forces to put in place a system similar to SETI at Home.

Do think it would be possible and if so, would you be willing to help?

Andybear 06:05 15 Jul 05

What's SETI at Home?

wiz-king 07:10 15 Jul 05

I don't think that the type of data they have lends itself to computer sorting. With computer sorting like the SETI project you are looking for a pattern but with the sorting that they have been doing especially the video tapes they cannot specify the pattern until they find it, much more difficult with video images. No doubt that having got some suspects they will be searching reams of callcenter and ISP records for past history on some numbers and email addresses, this could be done on a network of computers as with SETI but would the data provider let out the data? I don't think so, it would have the civil liberties people up in arms, would you like all your calls and emails to be available to anyone? At least ET wont mind - or would he/she/it?

wiz-king 07:14 15 Jul 05

Its away of linking a lot of home computer via the internet to crunch data looking for ET click here

Aspman 11:10 15 Jul 05

Information such as this would be classed at resricted or higher.

CESG regs prevent restricted (or higher) information leaving a secure network.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:15 15 Jul 05

This is the reason that GCHQ exists.

Happy Soul 21:35 15 Jul 05

I should have course said encoded data being sent, sorted and returned.

GCHQ obviously have very poweful computers but I thought there may be some data that could be sorted on home computers, leaving the main GCHQ machines to deal with the more secure/restricted data.

Video images would be OK. e.g. The eyes to my computer, forehead/hair to Andybear, nose to wiz-king, mouth to Aspman and chin/moustache/beard to GANDALF <|:-)>. Not one of us would know which home computer was sorting the data and even if we cracked the code, a nose or mouth on it's own would be useless.

Oh, and please don't get me started on Civil Liberties.

Buchan 35 22:18 15 Jul 05

Gandalf<1:-)> (how do you get that vertical bar there?) is right. Leave this to GCHQ and the police. We`d probably blunder around whilst their thinking would be much more direct. A hell of a thought though, to use citizen`s PCs to crack grime.

Kev.Ifty 23:04 15 Jul 05

The Police are looking for help from the banks and FI's. They want any suspicious account activity to be reported. Also Landlords to report suspicious Tenants, and if you sell your car to a dodgy character, that needs reporting too.

Someones going to be busy...

Buchan 35, Capital i or cut 'n' paste

Happy Soul 23:28 15 Jul 05

I see your point Buchan 35, but if you think of SETI, we have no input, it works quietly in the background. Yes there is the screen showing all the data which is being sorted, but if used as I suggest, no screen shots of any kind would be shown.

I'll leave this running a little longer before ticking resolved, to see if there is any more input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…