Re: The News Item. AOL to give away spammers loot

pj123 12:48 13 Aug 05

Just tried the Keyword: Spam Sweepstakes.

No go.

Went to Live Help. This is my result.

Me. Trying to find the Keyword Spam Sweepstakes. Can you advise.

AOL. Can you please let me kn ow why exactly do you wish to access Spam Sweepstakes?

Me. I would like to take part in the Sweepstake.

AOL. I would request you to please go to keyword Spam for more information.

Me. Thank you. But it has been listed as being Spam Sweepstakes, in many news items recently.

AOL. I am sorry but there is no keyword as Spam Sweepstakes.

End.

Does that mean that all the news items I have read about this article are wrong?

Anyone else tried it?

feb 13:05 13 Aug 05

Hi pj123

Not for us I'm afriad!

6. ELIGIBILITY: This Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, 18 years of age and older as of entry. Void in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico and where prohibited.

pj123 13:39 13 Aug 05

Thanks feb. Where did you get

6. ELIGIBILITY: This Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, 18 years of age and older as of entry. Void in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico and where prohibited.

None of the news items I have read mention anything about it only being available in the States. It seems to be IDG News Service that is putting this article around the globe. I just been on to PCworld site and checked their version (supplied by IDG News Service) and still no mention of AOL members in the UK are not eligible.

pj123 13:44 13 Aug 05

Just checked the news item again.

It clearly says:

"AOL members can enter the sweepstakes at AOL Keyword: Spam Sweepstakes;"

There is nothing there that says "Except UK AOL members"

feb 16:43 13 Aug 05
  pj123 17:00 13 Aug 05

feb, thanks mate. So not a lot of point PCA (or any other UK based news agencies) posting it as a news item if it has no bearing on anyone in the UK. Just a waste of time. Just a shame they couldn't mention it is only available in 48 states in the USA, especially as AOL acknowledged that "AOL members helped in the search for spammers named in the suit by using a "Report Spam" button to help AOL and detectives find those responsible".

Do they mean that only USA AOL members helped in the search?

pj123 17:40 15 Aug 05

Just been to "Live Help" again and asked the question: "Why are AOL members in the UK not allowed to enter this Sweepstakes". The answer I got was: "Sorry, we are not allowed to talk about this subject. But can I help you with anything else?"

Not a very good response. Looks like my AOL account will be cancelled when my (next) 12 months are up.

pj123 14:31 20 Aug 05

Sorry, Guys. Given up on this one. AOL won't talk to me anymore about this subject.

Ticked.

pj123 13:48 21 Aug 05

Having closed this thread I now read in the Sunday Telegraph 21/08/2005 the very same article (albeit at least 7 days too late). It still doesn't say that this Sweepstake is only open to AOL subscribers in selected 48 states of America.

Unfortunately, I can't see anywhere on the Telegraph website where I can contact the reporter who filed this report.

pj123 14:48 21 Aug 05

crx1600. Well the article says "subscribers to the internet provider AOL can enter the sweepstake"

I am a subscriber to AOL and tried to enter the sweepstake but I can't enter because I am in the UK and it is only open to the 48 states listed in the USA. So (to me) reporting it as a news item in the UK is not relevant.

I agree a news report does not have to list the terms and conditions but it would have been nice if it said "Only available in the USA" or something on those lines.

jz 22:04 22 Aug 05

A clever bit of marketing by AOL?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…