rcd protected socket

realist 17:34 10 Jun 08

Don't ask why I'd want to, but would it be "straightforward" to remove an existing surface-fitted rcd socket and replace it with a standard surface-fitted 13 amp power socket?

I usually find these sorts of tasks involve multiple visits to B&Q, and often end in tears.

Forum Editor 17:42 10 Jun 08

is yes, it would be very straightforward but....

The socket has been protected for a reason, and you shouldn't remove the protection unless that reason is no longer valid - i.e. the need to protect the socket has disappeared. My guess is that you're using the socket regularly, and that it is 'nuisance tripping' - that is, it's doing its job, but you find it irritating to have to keep resetting it.

The fact that you've also said such tasks usually "involve multiple visits to B&Q, and often end in tears." leads me to think that you're not an electrician, in fact it leads me to think that you're not even someone who has a basic knowledge of domestic electrical installations - which means you should leave well alone.

crosstrainer 17:43 10 Jun 08

Can't see any problems....As long as you switch off at the mains before you commence.

crosstrainer 17:47 10 Jun 08

Sorry..cross posted.

realist: The FE is correct...If this is tripping out on a regular basis, it's doing so for a reason...IE: it's overloaded or surging.

Changing it could result in:

A) Trip at main consumer unit or fuse board.

b) Damage to the connected equipment.

Might be best to leave as is, find out how much power it's drawing before you replace it with a standard socket.

realist 17:50 10 Jun 08

Thanks FE and crosstrainer.
The FE has indeed hit (ouch!) the nail on the head.

Forum Editor 17:53 10 Jun 08

than the risk of damage to the connected equipment is the risk of damage to a connected person. An RCD detects imbalances between the Phase conductor and the neutral, as happens when current leaks through the body of a human being. When it detects the imbalance the RCD kills the current before the current can kill the person - at least that's the hope.

RCDs weren't invented to protect equipment, they were invented to protect people from being electrocuted.

crosstrainer 17:57 10 Jun 08

Especially if it's a lawn mower or strimmer etc. these must be protected. Stay safe and leave it as is.

Bingalau 18:06 10 Jun 08

Get your wallet out and buy the services of a fully qualified electrician... That's what I do and I think it's known as "playing safe".

VCR97 19:29 10 Jun 08

If the RCD is nuisance-tripping it would be as well to have the connected equipment checked.

realist 19:59 10 Jun 08

It's in the out-house.

It's a 2-gang metal surface box to BS5733 non latching, tripping current with test button but no re-set button.

I don't exactly know what tripped it or if it's some sort of defect within the box itself, it just refused to function yesterday, after a number of years.

I've tried turning mains off/on and sequential turning off of all other sockets in the house.

Still it refuses to work!

georgemac © 20:15 10 Jun 08

best to have it replaced with another socket of the same type, with a reset button. One like this click here#

For me it would be very easy to fit the new socket, but if at all unsure best to get someone to do it for you.

Perfect for use in the out house. I always use one when using power/garden tools

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…