RBS Six Nations

Al94 14:11 05 Feb 15
Answered

It's that time of year again - looking forward to another entertaining series - may the best team win! This Wales fan has put his thoughts to music Hate English Rugby

csqwared 15:03 05 Feb 15

Where's Max Boyce when you need him. Will you be there??

Quickbeam 07:40 06 Feb 15

The first game is likely to be the best and indicate the competition winner.

BT 08:22 06 Feb 15

And once again BBC primetime Television is dumped for sport for two and a half hours. Its about time the BBC had a dedicated sport channel that doesn't interfere with the normal schedule. Not everyone likes or wants to watch sport. Why don't they use one of their minor channels like BBC3 or BBC4 after all they are now available to everybody.

Quickbeam 09:21 06 Feb 15

Because they know that not using a prime channel will cost millions of lost viewers and then have the RU top brass pressing for Sky to take yet another sporting crown jewel event away from the masses.

I would counter argue that soap coverage is way over done with daily repeats within hours on the BBC/ITV numbskull channels and catchup. And that catchup offers plenty of choice for the non sport orientated viewers. A major sporting event if only of interest if live. Watching a recorded FA Cup Final is like reading a month old newspaper!

I watch the 6 Nations, but not the Open (which is soon to disappear from the BBC after decades), nor Wimbledon other than a passing interest. I used to watch test cricket, but won't buy Sky just for that, but I accept that national sporting treasures should be shown live on free to air whether they interest me or not.

hastelloy 09:32 06 Feb 15

"Because they know that not using a prime channel will cost millions of lost viewers"

Is that because there aren't really that many "fans" or are they incapable of changing channels to watch something they really want to see?

Quickbeam 09:39 06 Feb 15

Yes marvin42! Soap viewers will go to any required amount of channel searching to find out the conclusion of the most mundane of social banalities being screened in soap plots...

hastelloy 11:28 06 Feb 15

Quickbeam

"Soap viewers will go to any required amount of channel searching to find out the conclusion of the most mundane of social banalities being screened in soap plots"

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Perhaps you would like to explain it to my 95 year old mother who has dementure. Then she might not get quite so confused and upset when her routine (very important to those with dementure) is disrupted.

Quickbeam 12:19 06 Feb 15

Are you seriously suggesting that TV schedules should be set in stone?

BT 12:25 06 Feb 15

marvin42

Quite right!

Those who subscribe to the multiple sports channels on Sky, BT sport etc. are quite capable of finding these when a sports event is screened on these channels and they pay lots of money to do it, so would be quite capable of finding a dedicated FREE BBC channel if it were available. I say again leave the schedules alone. Its happened before that the BBC have actually scrapped the schedule at short notice to show an unscheduled sports event.

Quickbeam 12:44 06 Feb 15

But I (and millions of others) don't subscribe to any pay sports channels. If a major sporting event was put out on a 3rd class free to air channel, the event would be quickly spirited away to Sky.

So then there is a valid argument for major events to be on a prime channel. If BBC1 became a permanent banality TV channel, the BBC's charter would be compromised, and the end of The Beeb as we know it would come about. The charter requires all tastes to be catered for.

I absolutely detest soaps (as you may have noticed), so I find something else to watch, it's quite easy.

There is a good argument for non major events on a minority digital channel, but not for the major events of the year that require a high profile prime channel to keep them free to air.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5