Ray Harryhausen, visual effects master, dies aged 92

Chronos the 2nd 07:52 AM 08 May 13

I did not know of the man but I can remember being thrilled and amazed at the special effects in the film Jason and the Argonaut's in 1963. Clips of some of his films here.

Today's film goers get all the special effects they need with CGI and the like 40 or so years ago things were a little more difficult but of so exciting to our generation. I must admit I still enjoy the original Jason and the Argonauts of 1963 as opposed to the 2000 version.

Aitchbee 08:46 AM 08 May 13

The skeletons fight sequences in 'Jason' must have taken Ray many months to produce, typically - a half second of stop-start action taking a day to produce.

'Clash of the Titans' was also co-produced by Harryhausen.

Chronos the 2nd 08:59 AM 08 May 13

The way those skeletons are animated is creepy as hell, the way they appear to lurch around is superb.

Quickbeam 09:27 AM 08 May 13

That's why they chose to use stop motion techniques for the 1981 Clash of the Titans when newer techniques were just starting. They deliberately wanted the un-nerving dream like visuals that stop motion gives.

mart7 09:50 AM 08 May 13

i agree the jason and the argonauts film is still one of my favourites, did he do a sort of king kong movie as well?

Quickbeam 09:53 AM 08 May 13

As far as I know, he invented that technique.

I remember sneaking into Jason and the Argonauts with my elder brother when it as first released aged 7 and being terrified at the skeleton fight scene!

carver 09:57 AM 08 May 13

Those skeletons didn't fool me, I could see through them.

Aitchbee 10:36 AM 08 May 13

" They deliberately wanted the un-nerving dream like visuals that stop motion gives."

I vividly remember my Dad had serious nightmares after watching 'Clash' on TV. [after downing 4 bottles of my potent, still fermenting, homemade beer ... (unbeknowns-to-me), that afternoon and evening].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know