Radom inreases in AOL monthly fee

mrwoowoo 19:28 26 Jan 11

Our monthly broadband charge with AOL is £14.99 which is unlimited.
On two occasions we have been charged an extra 50p and 32p respectively which were about 5 months apart.
Can they just take random amounts without giving due notice?
The account is by direct debit.
Obviously i'm not bothered about the money. But am curious as to whether some AOL employee may have a scam going.
Any ideas as to what these extras could be, or anyone had a similar experience with AOL.
I will be phoning to ask about it , but not sure if, going by previous dealings, i will get a sensible answer.
Haven't been able to access account details for the last 6 months either as it's under construction.

Marko797 19:51 26 Jan 11

will keep an eye on statements. Thanks for the heads-up mrwoowoo. I do think however that DDs allow for variations on the monthly amounts which can be taken, but (back to your point) this doesn't explain what the variations actually are though.

mrwoowoo 19:54 26 Jan 11

it reverts back to £14.99 the next month (in case i hadn't made it clear)

BRYNIT 20:15 26 Jan 11

I could be wrong but 32p looks like the 2.5% vat increase as per 4 jan.

mrwoowoo 20:18 26 Jan 11

You are quite right BRYNIT, it is the VAT increase as I have just come off the phone from them.
Couldn't get an answer as to the extra 50p in August though. Hmmm.

peter99co 20:29 26 Jan 11

Out of interest is AOL worth the price you pay?

No disrespect intended but I was told by a friend it behaves like a virus if installed on a PC and to keep well away.

I only ask because I felt this was unfair possibly because he was running a different set-up
and was trying to impress me.

regards

Marko797 20:40 26 Jan 11

I also use AOL, but don't know what u mean by 'it behaves like a virus if installed on a PC'.

It's not mandatory to use the AOL software apart from possibly for the initial installation - not sure (I deleted it); for example I use Outlook 2010 as email client, and IE8 for browsing, but of course my ISP remains AOL.

Marko797 20:42 26 Jan 11

should have read 'email application'

peter99co 20:47 26 Jan 11

It maybe he was referring to AOL software and the difficulty if it needed un-installing.

spuds 20:57 26 Jan 11

The original AOL when it arrived in the UK, and was very well represented by free installation disks. Proved to be a serious problem with some users, especially on trying to remove, and I think that is where the supposed virus comes into play.

Perhaps worth mentioning that I believe AOL are now owned by CPW. Talk Talk would be the owners, and they are having problems with certain accounts, when trying to merge subscribers details into their new system. I am with Tiscali/Talk Talk, and at various stages have been unable to get into my account, due to password rejections.

mrwoowoo 21:38 26 Jan 11

As to value for money, it does seem dear compared to some. The reason i stay with them is because i have a 40GB limit a month allowance and go way over that with no repercussions in the way of throttling etc.
We watch a lot of progs on iplayer in the evening as do my sons. Add to that our online gaming and other video streaming makes me think that even with a so called "unlimited" download package we would be throttled or charged extra elsewhere.
The older versions of AOL did leave traces behing although a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revo would do the trick. Ar for it behaving like a virus, thats way off thr mark.
Besides, if it where that bad you can always search and drlete manually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…