Racist Flag

laurie53 14:55 07 Dec 08

November 30 was St Andrews Day.

Fife Council is SNP controlled.

Yet this very week a council official ordered a resident to take down his Scottish Saltire as it was racist.

click here

Now I know an apology was issued etc etc. but what sort sort of a world do we live in where officialdom could even entertain such a thought

gengiscant 15:35 07 Dec 08

As an Englishman in Scotland for the last 30 years,racism is alive and well,although as far as us English are concerned,it is called banter.

If we were muslim or even asian we would have some recourse to law.

I as A Londoner still prefer it up here.

lofty29 15:59 07 Dec 08

Unfortunately the terms racism and nationalism have become increasing misused and missaplied and are jumped upon with glee by PC correct numpties, there is nothing wrong with being proud of ones race, nationality, religeon, or even what football team you support.

spuds 16:20 07 Dec 08

I have mentioned on the forum previously, about one of our neighbours who is deeply involved with the American Confederacy and Union period. No ones asked him to take his two constant displayed flags down. Perhaps frightened of a possible cavalry charge and musket ball :O)

But the local town hall, once had a purge on non-displaying of certain flags, including St George and the Union Jack. Things have now slightly changed!.

Forum Editor 16:36 07 Dec 08

Nationalism is an evil thing, and it isn;t what you mean when you talk of being proud of one's nationality - that's called patriotism, and it's fine.

Being proud of your football team, or loyal to your religion is also fine, provided you don't take it to the extent that you despise those who support other teams or are loyal to other religions. Do that and you're being intolerant, and intolerance is a hair's breadth away from persecution.

Flag waving is a way of demonstrating loyalty or patriotism, and it's fine. Whenever I go to New York I'm struck by the way that Americans grab any opportunity to fly their national flag, it's on almost every shop and office building. The problem with flags starts when people use them to show intolerance and defiance - the union flag in my garden and the German flag in my neighbour's, for instance. We might both say that we're simply demonstrating our patriotic feelings towards our respective countries, but those who know might say that we're posturing - we're waving our flags in each others faces.

It's all a question of sensitivity, and in today's multi-racial societies there are more reasons than ever before to show a little tolerance and sensitivity - it's the way to avoid conflict.

BT 17:34 07 Dec 08

If you are a Brit and wish to fly the Union Flag in the USA you ALSO have to fly the American flag!

sunnystaines 18:12 07 Dec 08

we live close to the river thames and they have a law preventing a union jack on your boat, not sure if it applies to the english crusade cross.

canarieslover 18:19 07 Dec 08

Surely America is also every bit as multiracial as UK so why do we have all the aggro when we want to show the Union Flag but Americans don't seem to have the same problem with the Stars and Stripes?

Switcher 21:58 07 Dec 08

A pedantic point, which may or may not be of interest. The Union flag is only a Union Jack when flown from the jack staff of a Royal Naval Ship otherwise it is a Union Flag. What is usually termed half mast is more correcly called half staff. Then again that could be a leg pull.
Does anybody know?

Forum Editor 23:15 07 Dec 08

I think the difference between America and Europe - at least as far as flags are concerned - is that when you are an American citizen you are expected to be American first and foremost, and your loyalty to your country of origin must be subjugated to your loyalty to America.

Americans are proud of their country, some of them inordinately so, and it seems to me that they have a way of drawing immigrants into that. Whatever the reason, you see the flag just about everywhere, and the patriotism is a tangible thing - it's expressed freely and openly.

I always come away from America feeling that I'm missing something at home, something that I feel should be here, but isn't. I mainly go to New York, and everyone always says that New York isn't typical of America as a whole. It's certainly a multi-racial city, far more so than any city in this country, and everyone seems to get along OK. It's not a multi-racial utopia, but it works.

Bingalau 13:36 08 Dec 08

I find that some forms which require filling in don't give you the choice of stating that you are indeed, British. But just give you a choice of English; Scottish; or sometimes also your country of origin. If it were a free choice I would put British every time. I hate to see the way the different nationalities are becoming separated. (Scottish Parliament etc.) we should be joining closer together not drifting apart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…