Quite Distasteful

zzzz999 10:08 02 Oct 11

On top of considerations to reduce the taxation burden on the very wealthy we now have the other Tory double whammy of putting the boot into the plebs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15135982

Quite odious.

OTT_B 10:28 02 Oct 11

Looking at the article, I'd think that there are several major pieces of information missing. I don't know what (they are afterall missing!).

zzzz999 10:47 02 Oct 11

When did taxation become punishment? Gesture politics??? Gesture politics is telling us we are all in this together, gesture politics is sticking tax burden on VAT rather than income tax, that's gesture politics.

If it only might do it, why then do it, or is that more gesture politics?

badgery 10:50 02 Oct 11

I don't think it's quite the "here we go again", but events are conspiring worldwide to make people far more aware of how money is 'controlled' in society, by a relative few people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15140671

It is going far beyond the 'bankers' (or even the last government!). Ignore it at our peril.

Terry Brown 10:51 02 Oct 11

I have in the past been an Employer, and there is so much red tape involved in employment and running a business that unless you are prepared to pay someone, it's takes time that should be used to run a business sucessfully, and mistakes in employment can be made.

It is a sad fact that not all persons are fit to do the job for which they were employed, or initally they make an effort then their productitivy loses to apathy, or more often they 'lie' on their C.V about abilities they have that do not exist.

This can take anything up to 2 years to manifest itself and prove to be irreversable, although sometimes a good(proverbial) kick in the pants or a transfer to another job (If available) will work; however sometimes there is no option to to replace that person with someone who can do the job better.

Terry

spuds 14:12 02 Oct 11

There is no point in stating that the 'safety net' is going to be widened by another year, because this will help the job seeker, just employed or the employer. The whole system wants going back to the drawing board, and all the past abnormalities taken into prospective and consideration. Its very obvious that the CBI are all in favour, and the Unions are not, this would have always been the case.

There are still 'sweat shops' out there, where people seem to have no rights, including wage for the job or suitable working and living conditions at all. Quite a number of people working and living in these places and conditions are there, mainly due to relaxed immigration procedures. I see now, that there are reports appearing condemning the previous government of having an 'open house' attitude and policy, which as perhaps made employment in this country a far bigger problem, than first realised?.

morddwyd 08:01 03 Oct 11

"The GMB union criticised the plan."

"the CBI, welcomed it."

That says it all really.

It's politics, the same old politics, dress it up however you like,

LanceAlot 09:19 03 Oct 11

I totally agree with Terry Brown.

There's so many constraints put on employers who want to get rid of inadequates that it must put many businesses off from expanding because they don't want to take the risk of employing people in case they aren't up to the job.

At the moment the rules and regulations are stacked up too much against employers.

spuds 15:35 04 Oct 11

Perhaps going off tangent slightly. A few years ago there was the government of the day YTS, which was there to help the young unemployed, and the bosses as well, by providing possible cheap 'apprenticeship' labour. That scheme turned out to be a complete disaster for everyone concerned. Very few young people were taken on full time, and some bosses gave up due to the various administration problems. Perhaps this new idea will turn out the same?.

spuds 15:36 04 Oct 11

Perhaps going off tangent slightly. A few years ago there was the government of the day YTS, which was there to help the young unemployed, and the bosses as well, by providing possible cheap 'apprenticeship' labour. That scheme turned out to be a complete disaster for everyone concerned. Very few young people were taken on full time, and some bosses gave up due to the various administration problems. Perhaps this new idea will turn out the same?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…