A Quinisencially English Gentleman

Quickbeam 08:13 18 Oct 07

I went to see Henry 'Blowers' Blofeld (the cricket commentator) last night at the local theatre.

I was amazed that for all the plumbs in his mouth, he was a very funny and colourful wit... probably the most un-PC routine around. He certainly wouldn't be allowed on todays TV!

Weskit 10:07 18 Oct 07

You led me on a chase to find the meaning of "quintessential" - "most typical" or "perfect example". Is he really?

Quickbeam 10:29 18 Oct 07

yes... I sensed just like us all, he was very much a 'jack the Lad' in his youth! Most famous Etonians are quite lively charaters.

spuds 11:32 18 Oct 07

Like most of these celebrities, what you see and hear on tv and radio, and what they present to a small 'enclosed' audience can be two different ball games.

Freddie Truman, Dicky Bird, Tony Benn, Blaster Bates are but a few who were/are masters in the art.

ventanas 11:49 18 Oct 07

His is one voice I could listen to for ages. His knowledge of the habits of pigeons and buses is remarkable.

john bunyan 19:23 21 Oct 07

I seem to remember his immortal commentary: "The bowler's Holding , the batsman's Willie. Unfortunately he forgot the punctuation !

ventanas 08:43 22 Oct 07

Sorry, but it was Brian Johnston who made that gaff about Michael Holding and Peter Willy.

It always caused him much mirth afterwards. Another wonderful man from the wonderful world of cricket.

Spark6 10:17 22 Oct 07

Your post has reminded me of the funniest commentary Jonners was involved in. The 'Botham failing to get his leg over the wicket' one with Aggers.

newman35 10:24 22 Oct 07

Yet another spelling of 'Willey'. How many are there? (:-)

ventanas 10:41 22 Oct 07

Yep I was wrong. Your spelling is correct.

click here

ventanas 10:44 22 Oct 07

Although this site claims Wisden as having no record of the comment, in one of his final books "Rain Stops Play," Brian Johnston does make mention of it.

Who believes Wisden anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced