A quick reminder

Forum Editor 18:48 23 Nov 04

that we're keen to keep Speakers Corner on the tracks as far as content is concerned. Threads should be "loosely connected with computers or computing, or anything that makes the digital world tick".

We're not over-enthusiastic about threads full of links to lists of jokes etc.

Some of the subjects on this forum get quite complex and involved, surely a small amount of light relief on 'Speakers Corner' should be okay.

Forum Editor 20:26 23 Nov 04

Indeed it should, but the problem (and over the years it has happened time and time again) is that once we get a single thread based on "a small amount of light relief" as you call it, we very quickly have half a dozen. The atmosphere becomes one of "If he/she can post a thread or a link like that, then I will" and before long we have lots of them. Not everyone has the same idea about what constitutes 'light relief' and I start getting dozens of emails asking me why I'm permitting that kind of thread - it's a no win situation.

If I'm to be fair to everyone I have to do what I've just done - post a reminder thread like this. Otherwise where does it stop - do I allow six threads, or ten, and if I allow ten, why not twenty?

Just occasionally it does no harm to deviate slightly from the declared policy, and I try not to jump in with both feet when the occasional 'light relief' thread appears, but if you've watched Speakers Corner over the past few days you'll have seen what happens....one thread becomes two, becomes three, and so on.

I'm here to edit, so I'm editing - hence this reminder.

Forum Editor 20:31 23 Nov 04

You accidentally double-posted here, and when I tried to delete the duplicate the server decided to remove both posts. It's been doing that recently, and we're working on a fix.

Nothing personal you understand.

Cook2 20:31 23 Nov 04

I've ticked 'I'm still laughing' to please the FE.

Fair comment.

zanwalk 20:33 23 Nov 04

And an excellent job you do too, well done!

Dorsai 20:49 23 Nov 04

Like they say:

The editors decision is final.

Nowhere does it say that you have to agree with the decision.

but by coming here, you have agreed to 'the editors decision is final'.

watchful 14:52 24 Nov 04

Oh dear, and there was me thinking you were the only killjoy on the forum! :o)

On a serious note - you do a very good job of keeping this unruly lot on track.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:31 24 Nov 04

Agree with Dorsai 'completely'. There are plenty of other forums to use to discuss other topics. I would also add that the Helproom does appear to have several posts that are perhaps more suited to the Consumer Watch, Speakers Corner forums.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:18 09 Dec 04

Take it also that a computer survey is not appropriate! lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…