A question for the brainy ones of you

Kevscar1 17:23 07 Oct 08

If the world is heating up due to Global Warming why is the rain so bloody cold.

Surely it should be like a lukewarm shower by now.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:29 07 Oct 08

I seem to remember the scientists claiming that the whole of the SE of the UK would become a desert due to global warming. You can probably understand why I am somewhat sceptical about anything to do with Global Warming.

G

Teaboy 17:33 07 Oct 08

I remember reading somewhere (I believe that fine paper the Daily Mail) that the current thinking is that England will suffer an ice age, due to global warming!

Bingalau 17:35 07 Oct 08

when I read the title of this thread. which I would have answered in a trice of course.

birdface 17:58 07 Oct 08

It is thats why you get very little snow nowadays.

Pineman100 18:08 07 Oct 08

The meteorologists tell us that you can't determine a long-term trend from short-term events. And of course the UK is only a minute part of the planet's surface.

Yes, we may have had a cold, wet, flippin' awful summer here, but that's just a momentary blip in planetary terms. The Big Picture still shows us getting ever warmer in the future.

Kevscar1 18:19 07 Oct 08

Maybe but I do wonder if it is down to us. 250years ago Fuertaveture was a fertile island able to grow plenty of food. Then suddenly it changed how can man be blamed for that.

Curio 18:19 07 Oct 08

And the next planetary cycle will see it get colder again

Blackhat 18:26 07 Oct 08

Back to the original question.

The point at which a cloud releases precipitation is usually at such a height that at first the potential rain drop is more likely to be near or below freezing, a lot of ground fall rains actually start out as snowflakes.

It’s all to do with ambient air temperature. During decent a rain drop will warm up but unless there is a large temperature rise near ground level the rain drop will mostly be of a temperature from a few hundred to a few thousand feet above ground.

Tropical climates do give rise to warm rain as the ambient temperatures allow the rain drop to heat up quickly.

In the UK air temperature at ground level of about 60F would relate to about 23F (-5C) at 10,000 feet (the average height of a Nimbostratus cloud responsible for most of the UK rain fall).

MAJ 19:10 07 Oct 08

" seem to remember the scientists claiming that the whole of the SE of the UK would become a desert due to global warming. You can probably understand why I am somewhat sceptical about anything to do with Global Warming."

If the Gulf Stream is stopped because of GW, then the whole of the SE of the UK would become a desert, it will just be a desert of snow and ice, rather than a desert of sand. The Poles are deserts as well as the Sahara and Gobi are, they're just different types of desert.

lofty29 19:16 07 Oct 08

Don't forget that the whole theory of global warming and its consequences are just that theory, and computer models based on that theory. Man does not even have the ability to forcast weather events even one week ahead with any great accuracy, plus any of the projections could easily be upset by major crustal events such as volcanos which are unpredictable although some indications can be given very shortly before the event, apparently the LA region of the USA is overdue for a major earthquake just as an example. I am not saying that some form of climate change is not taking place, just that the various dire predictions and causes are supposition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now