Question for the aircraft spotters

johndrew 14:29 04 Apr 14
Answered

I have been attempting to identify an aircraft for a friend from a brass model he has. I accept the model may just be a 'figment' and have no bearing in reality but with luck it may resemble a true aircraft closely enough that some here may recognise it from the information below.

The aircraft is a twin engined, low winged monoplane. It has similarities in form to a Mosquito in that the canopy is raised above the fuselage, but the engines do not extend beyond the nose. The tail is similar to a Lancaster in that it has twin fins. There are no turrets indicated in any position. The engine nacelles have indications of oil cooler inlets at the front bottom (a crescent type inlet) and would indicate in-line engines rather than rotary; no propellers have been modelled. My guess from the scale is the aircraft would be a similar size to an Avro Anson.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks in anticipation.

john bunyan 19:07 04 Apr 14

If a jet aircraft, could it be a Vampire F3 See: DH Vampire

morddwyd 19:43 04 Apr 14

Vampire has twin booms which would be indicative, and only had one engine.

Might be on of the Bristol series - Buickmaster, Brigand etc. Raised cockpit on a twin engine has got me a bit stumped.

wee eddie 19:54 04 Apr 14

Try Germany

bumpkin 19:58 04 Apr 14

No idea from the description, can you post a link to a photo.

john bunyan 20:27 04 Apr 14

Some Vampires were twin engine Vampire

flycatcher1 20:40 04 Apr 14

ME110 ?

john bunyan 20:51 04 Apr 14

flycatcher 1

That looks good. I remember as a kid I used to look at My granddad's pack of aircraft recognition cards (he was an ARP). I watched these along with Junkers 88's over London during the last war.

morddwyd 09:26 05 Apr 14

"Some Vampires were twin engine Vampire"

Where's the second engine? I can only see the one behind the cockpit. The Vampire was really mostly engine, Ghost or Goblin, and there really was nowhere to put another one.

john bunyan 09:34 05 Apr 14

morddwyd

Sorry. I assumed the air intakes were separate engines! Silly me.(Should know better as Mum and Dad both were RAF...

morddwyd 09:41 05 Apr 14

110 sounds good. It does have a "glasshouse" cockpit, though the nose does extend a bit forward of the engines.

There is a silhouette near the bottom of this page

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009