Queen mother-A cruel attack or unpleasant truth?

WhiteTruckMan 10:05 28 Sep 09

click here

Does this make you squirm with embarassment? or merely nod in agreement?

What do you think?

WTM

bremner 10:31 28 Sep 09

Johann Hari is a left wing anti monarchist, so the Independent piece is nothing like an impartial assessment.

Legolas 10:37 28 Sep 09

To be honest WTM I only read a quarter of the article because whither what is written is true or not I don't like the way it is written and tend to agree with some of the comments listed below the article, it appears to me to be a rant by someone with an axe to grind.

WhiteTruckMan 10:46 28 Sep 09

that the author has some form of axe to grind. But does that make it any the less true?

WTM

zzzz999 10:51 28 Sep 09

Ouch!!! I am a bit of a republican, but I find that distasteful. It uses spurious 'comments' as evidence for the writer's bile. Poor article.

birdface 10:56 28 Sep 09

If you have nothing nice to say about someone don't say it.

Thats what we were taught.

bremner 11:00 28 Sep 09

As is often said on here, it is very easy to make sweeping allegations against someone but where is the evidence to support those allegations.

In this case he is, Hari attacks the Queen Mother and her Biographer but he does not give one piece of supporting evidence.

Elizabeth twice turned down George's marriage proposal, hardly consistent with Hari's claim of someone obsessed with marrying a 'Windsor'.

It has often been reported that the Queen Mother hated Edward VIII and Wallace Simpson because their decisions resulted in her husband, who was unprepared to be King, coming to the throne and that this hastened his death in 1952 at 57years old. Again inconsistent with Hari's claim of someone who "of plotted to force his abdication".

WhiteTruckMan 11:04 28 Sep 09

Are you suggesting we shouldnt say anything at all about robert mugabe, pol pot, hitler, stalin...well you get the idea?

I must point out that I amnot comparing the QM to those lot, merely responding to butemans comment.

WTM

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:18 28 Sep 09

'Elizabeth's entry in Who's Who? falsely announced that they were dead'..I'm sure that was a genuine mistake on her part/ahem. This was commented on by much of the media when it occurred. On the whole I tend to side with Johann Hari but then again I have never liked the old bat and her dysfunctional brood much.

G

Quickbeam 12:15 28 Sep 09

The truth can often be cruel. But I do think he's ground the axe shape enough to put a good chip in each shoulder with one swing.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:25 28 Sep 09

At least his article is not schmaltzy, wishy-washy, saccharine nonsense that pours out of many organs fo the media.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009