Purchasing on the Internet abroad

bitstream 08:47 06 Apr 08

I have a permanent address in the UK which is also my credit card billing address. I recently attempted to buy the licence for an Adobe product for which I already had done a trial download. So, I already had the product, and was happy to pay for the right to continue to use it. Adobe (or their automatic systems) declined the transaction. I spoke to my credit card company and they had authorised the transaction, but Adobe didn't proceed. The reason seems to be that I am abroad (Bulgaria) at the moment so the purchase request came via a 'foreign' ISP. Adobe aren't the only culprits; why don't these companies lurch into the 21st century and discover people move around the globe a bit more than they used to? Their restrictions are likely to encourage people to look for 'cracked' illegal copies of their products

spuds 12:25 06 Apr 08

"why don't these companies lurch into the 21st century", but they have, and prevention of international internet fraud is perhaps the way forward.

The other reason could well be the fact of licencing arrangements between countries. What you might be able to buy in one country at a cheap rate, your country of origin and banking arrangements might make a big difference!.

Forum Editor 12:31 06 Apr 08

into the 21st century and discover people move around the globe a bit more than they used to?"

Perhaps they're little further into the 21st century than you give them credit for. The card companies know very well that when they compare the cardholder's address with the transaction location there are certain areas of the world where they need to be particularly aware of card fraud - it's a pity, but it's a fact.

Many card providers are now using a system that requires you to enter a personal password before you can proceed with an online purchase, and this is helping to reduce fraudulent transactions. Often when I use my card, regardless of where I am, I am switched to a different, secure server, where I am asked to enter my private password. Without that the transaction will not continue. I wish more online retailers and card providers would embrace the scheme.

bitstream 13:23 06 Apr 08

With respect, Mr. Editor, the card company were quite happy to accept the transaction. Adobe 'pinged' them with a token £1 transaction before they approved it. If Adobe didn't want to accept the transaction they should have said so earlier in the proceedings.
Either Adobe's site is secure or it isn't. I already had the download; I just wanted to pay for a licence so that I could continue to use it. I would agree with you that more retailers could use the scheme that you mention. Otherwise you can only buy on line when you are in the same country as your billing address, which I think is frustratingly restrictive. Perhaps 'padlocked' (secure) websites aren't as secure as we're encouraged to believe?

Belatucadrus 14:54 06 Apr 08

Keeping track of your location also permits them to ensure we can't buy at US prices, but have to cough up the usurious local price. After all adobe must waste millions of man hours converting their products from US English to UK English and need to recoup their losses somehow.

Forum Editor 14:59 06 Apr 08

and in fairness to Adobe it may well be previous experience that caused the problem. It's not a question of the Adobe server not being secure - you can have the most secure server in the world, and it won't protect you against cards being used fraudulently.

interzone55 17:31 06 Apr 08

Adobe have different pricing structures in different markets.

Due to their wish to keep prices high in some areas (UK for example) the refuse to action cross border transactions.

To see the different prices take a look at the US price of Creative Suite 3
click here

And here's the UK price
click here

Yes the US list price is $1199 & the UK list price is £1169.99
The current exchange rate is $1.99295 to £1

bitstream 07:38 07 Apr 08

Belactucadrus, Alan14, this is true;I suspect my problem is an unintended consequence of Adobe's (and others') greed. The facts are: I am am a UK resident, I downloaded UK-available software and wanted to pay for it with a UK credit card; my only 'sin' was I just happened to be in Bulgaria. It would seem, therefore, that I can't buy the software at any price!

interzone55 08:49 07 Apr 08

A friend of mine, who is a US citizen, with US residency & a US issued Amex card could not purchase Photoshop whilst he was in the UK unless he logged into his work VPN, after that the purchase went through without a hitch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now