PS3 & £400 - Will you buy?

aveylee 14:45 09 May 06

OK they have finally told us that we will be able to buy a PS3 come November.
However the full set up will set us back £400...

Given that you can buy a cheap sempron / celeron pc for the same price, and you will have to fork out £50 for each PS3 game, do you think Sony have priced themselves out of the market?

Or will you like me wait 6 months and pay £200 for the same PS3?

lee_robinson1983 16:03 09 May 06

Wait 6 months I reckon, if at all. Got a dual core PC at the moment so could use less that half of the PS3 price to SLI my graphics and get another 7800gtx.

Sony are stating that they have to charge this price because of the high price components and that they'll even make a LOSS on the system itself and recoup it on the software, hence the high game prices. Not impressed myself though.

They'll sell well though no doubt and leave parents feeling the pressure of their offspring come xmas.

kiddgame2000 16:11 09 May 06

Im a playstation man through and through but im actually considering buying the nintendo instead because of the controller and the possibilites it introduces for games.

I will wait 6 months however, my pc will keep me happy.

I dont however think i will be complaning about the price of the PS3 considering the fact that i spent £850 pound on a gaming pc.

SG Atlantis® 18:34 09 May 06

I might. I don't know yet...

I'll probably wait for the first price drop.

wolfie3000 18:37 09 May 06

I was never a fan of consoles and the price of the ps3 is silly smart people will wait a few months and buy it for half the price.

The price of the games is mad too i feel sorry for the poor parents with kids demanding this console.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:43 09 May 06

saintorsinner 20:08 09 May 06

I prefer my PC for gaming so I wont be buying a ps3 for myself, but I may have to buy one for my son once the price has dropped a bit.

VNAM75 20:14 09 May 06

Is the the Xbox 360 already becoming outdated? It only uses standard DVDs whilst PS3 will use Blue-ray, which has about 4/5 times the capacity.

Totally-braindead 20:17 09 May 06

I wouldn't buy any console for 3 reasons. 1 - I like the mouse keyboard control combination for games and don't really like gamepads. 2 - Console games tend to be more expensive than the PC equivalents especially after a bit of time when the prices can drop quite dramatically and 3 - I don't have the money, I spend a bit on my PC and simply can't afford to buy a console and the games.

powerless 20:28 09 May 06

There's an external HD-DVD drive for sale from MS......soon, no pricing though.

To take advantage of the PS3 you'll definitely need at least one HDTV to take full advantage of the HD that thing outputs. And to top it off you'll need to buy the more expensive model to get the HDMI connection, plus wifi, etc...

Charence 20:43 09 May 06

£400...I think the money would be better spent on something like a PC or maybe something else.

Although I'm not interested in buying any of these new consoles (the only one I got is a PS1 :-p), the Wii looks the most interesting with its new motion sensing controller; I dislike gamepads because your hands become sore after a while of pressing weird button combinations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…