Providing personal details - should I be worried?

HighTower 10:36 29 Sep 09

I'm a sole trader and I'm about to start working on a web project for a new customer. The customer is an NHS trust and they've sent me some forms I need to complete in order to have the pleasure of becoming one of their suppliers.

As well as business details the form asks me to provide them with personal details. They want to know my first, middle and surname, my home address & postcode, date of birth, home telephone number and they may also make a search with a credit reference agency, even though it's me who will be providing them with the credit.

Should I be worried about this? The info will be stored on their system but there's a lot in the press recently about organisations losing data.

Any opinions?

Snec 10:49 29 Sep 09

I don't think you have any choice if you want the business. It is SOP.

Should you be worried?

I don't know the answer to that because I don't know you. Personally I would not be worried because I have nothing to hide from anyone.

HighTower 11:00 29 Sep 09

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I have no skeletons in my closet, it was more the potential for identity theft that I was thinking about.

Snec 11:07 29 Sep 09

Well, I agree that does seem to be a bit of a problem but what can we do?

Take the risk, I would. I think the risk is minimal anyway. In any case there are numerous other places your identity can be stolen from more readily than this one.

oldbeefer2 12:05 29 Sep 09

I wouldn't have thought there was a problem there. Most companies would want that info (and a lot more) before employing someone.

HighTower 12:26 29 Sep 09

Well, maybe I'm being a little too protective then.

I've two friends in the last month who have been victims of identity fraud and have had quite large sums withdrawn from their bank accounts, so naturally thought I would ask the question.

Thanks all for your replies.

lofty29 14:56 29 Sep 09

If the information is provided to any government department then you might as well post it on the nearest lampost as far as security is concerned.

HighTower 15:08 29 Sep 09

Yeah! That's what I was worried about! :-)

oldbeefer2 15:32 29 Sep 09

But that sort of general info won't allow anyone to hit your bank accounts.

lotvic 15:33 29 Sep 09

They will already have that sort of info (minus the credit search) on your medical records if you have ever been in hospital.

HighTower 15:36 29 Sep 09

Heh! Never thought of looking at it that way. Very true!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…