Proposals on reform of the law on murder,

TopCat® 18:06 29 Jul 08

manslaughter and infanticide were published yesterday in what will be the first comprehensive review of the law of murder for fifty years.

A mammoth task in itself which means getting the laws 'clear and consistant and in tune with current circumstances and attitudes' so that the punishment really fits the crime. The full report pdf is click here

I welcome this review and trust any eventual changes to the law by the parliamentarians will continue to ensure fair justice is handed down in our courts. TC.

spuds 18:10 29 Jul 08

I don't know about anyone else, but when I start reading reviews on law and order, I get more confused.

An Englishman's home is his castle?.

bluto1 19:18 29 Jul 08

I echo your sentiments, but I fear too many cans of worms are going to be opened.
I hope the new legislation spells everything out clearly and doesn't leave important points open to a multitude of interpretations.

laurie53 20:13 29 Jul 08

"I hope the new legislation spells everything out clearly and doesn't leave important points open to a multitude of interpretations."

Don't be naive. The lawyers have got to make a living arguing all the new interpretations until the next review in fifty years time.

Forum Editor 00:46 30 Jul 08

The proposals are open for consultation until October, so if anyone fancies themself as a legislator.......

This would be a very important piece of legislative reform. There hasn't been a reform of the murder laws for fifty years and it's a chance to put a few things right - or wrong. It's a subject worthy of a great deal of discussion and consideration, because there are big issues involved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5