Productivity in Government

john bunyan 18:38 13 Apr 09

Now that we have regional governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, why can't there be an offsetting saving in MP's and Members of the House of Lords at Westminster?
I know the US State government system is different, but it seems mad that they manage with 100 Senators and our House of Lords has over 600 I think.
Regrettably, as these MP's etc. decide their numbers, salaries etc. themselves, nothing will induce them to make productivity improvements following the regional reorganisation. Any commercial business would have tackled this long ago.Am I wrong in thinking this? I think I have only once contacted my MP and he just referred me to someone else.They should only get a pay adjustment if they make productivity savings, in my humble view

zzzz999 07:06 14 Apr 09

the number of Scottish MPs has reduced by nearly 20 following devolution.

john bunyan 12:40 14 Apr 09

Did not know that. At least it helps!

Clapton is God 14:04 14 Apr 09

You seem to be under the misapprehension that MPs are there to do something useful.

Wrong.

Welcome to the real world.

oresome 14:36 14 Apr 09

click here

Of course, this proposal is before they're actually in power.

Stuartli 15:30 14 Apr 09

Governments don't actually "produce" anything of true commercial value.

Even public sector jobs are funded by taxpayers.

john bunyan 18:25 14 Apr 09

No, I already knew that! Surely , though, even though they don't "produce" anything, there is no reason why the numbers in both Commoms and Lords can't be reviewed downrards following devolution.
A folorn hope as they are the ones who decide these things.
Will mark as resolved as there is little chance of anything radical happening.

Stuartli 23:20 14 Apr 09

I've suggested exactly the same thing in previous threads on the subject, including comparing the smaller number involved in the States despite a population more than three times that of the UK.

Stuartli 23:22 14 Apr 09

By the way, although there is regional government in Scotland, it would have been most unlikely it could have given the financial support to RBS provided by that of the UK.

Spark6 23:45 14 Apr 09

*Even public sector jobs are funded by taxpayers.*

Excuse me, who would you suggest should fund them? Public service is simply that, unless of course you think it should be entirely voluntary.

Our problem is simply that our political system has not functioned democratically for the last six decades. No matter which political party is returned at a general election the public at large are not going to benefit materially or humanitarily. We should demand total honesty from our elected representatives but I don't see that happening any time soon.

zzzz999 07:16 15 Apr 09

Stuartli

Had RBS been in Scottish Government control, I very much doubt it would have been so poorly regulated in the first place. And, here's a wee thought, its those same tax payers that buy services that allow private sector organisations to sell stuff. Its those same tax payers who fund major infrastructure projects that private sector contractors fall over themselves to get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…