Problems after Changing Electric Meters

flycatcher1 11:00 AM 08 Mar 13

In January my Electric Meter was changed by Southern Electricity under, what I was told was, the ten year rule.

I noted the old figure and sent it to my provider, EDF, together with the Meter change information. I received an acknowledgement which turned out to be worth its weight in feathers.

This month a tried to enter my gas and electricity figures on their site but the electricity one was rejected as impossible. I phoned EDF and the reason is that the Meter change has not yet been activated and they have no idea when it will be done. Usual reason - new computer system in 2011.

Has anyone else had this problem?

wiz-king 11:06 AM 08 Mar 13

No - but I have a similar one. I pay 2 electric bills, one for home and one for my stables, I can only do one online as their online system cant cope with two meters at one address.

spuds 11:40 AM 08 Mar 13

I have had more than my fair share of billing problems with my combined fuel supplier, mainly based on the gas part of the bills being estimated, even though a meter reader was suppose to have provided the joint readings.

Other issues were also raised, but it was like talking or writing for answers and not getting actual answers.

I think I have now resolved the issues, by having 'Smart Meters' fitted.

If you want further help or advice, then perhaps try http://www.energy-ombudsman.org.uk

Woolwell 12:04 PM 08 Mar 13

I'm with EDF and had my meter changed last year under the 10 year rule. I have had no snags with the changeover. I don't believe their excuse about the computer as my change was more recent than 2011. I have found them to be helpful when I have rung. As a result of a call about 9 months ago I ended up on a new tariff saving around £10 per month.

flycatcher1 13:24 PM 08 Mar 13

Woolwell. Good for you. I have found the EDF staff very good and helpful over the 'phone and their prices are quite good in the present climate. No pun intended.

I thought that I was getting a Smart Meter but I have been told that only BG are installing them universally.

Woolwell 13:29 PM 08 Mar 13

I didn't get a smart meter and the fitter told me to be pleased!

Forum Editor 13:41 PM 08 Mar 13

Like others, I'm with EDF, and my meter was also changed -about six months ago I believe.

I haven't had any problems with online meter reading submissions, and on the rare occasion I've spoken to anyone I have always found them to be friendly and helpful.

flycatcher1 14:04 PM 08 Mar 13

I knew it, I am being singled out for special treatment.

Thanks for the info, spuds, but it is not that bad - yet.

Forum Editor 14:08 PM 08 Mar 13

"I knew it, I am being singled out for special treatment."

Steady on, you're sounding like some of our other forum members.

I find it astonishing that someone actually said the problem was related to a new computer system in 2011. If the meter change hasn't been activated you are presumably consuming free electricity. It might be worth mentioning that to them.

flycatcher1 14:26 PM 08 Mar 13

FE I meant it as a joke but I do not mind sounding like some forum members, but not all of them.

I suspect that my bill will be rationalised in the near future.

Woolwell 14:48 PM 08 Mar 13

I may have been OTT but before the change I took a photo of the old reading and a after the change a photo of the new meter.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites