Problem with new update of Notepad

birdface 13:28 01 Apr 09

Hi.Just downloaded Notepad 5.3.1 I was expecting it to automatically update the original version.But now have 2 versions of notepad on my computer.Is it possible to delete the old version and would it affect my Host file which I have with it.

birdface 13:31 01 Apr 09

Hi sorry to post this separately but would have lost what I already had printed if I had tried to find the new version of Notepad.

click here

birdface 13:33 01 Apr 09

Maybe a bit more information here.
click here

birdface 13:56 01 Apr 09

My apologies meant to post this in the helproom.Will close now and post it there.

Cymro. 14:46 01 Apr 09

This does not seem to be an original Windows Notepad but some other Notepad that uses the same name. As it is not a Windows one it has not replaced your original Notepad but just added another one to your system.

I have had a quick look in my Add Remove Programs and Windows Notepad does not seem to be listed. So if you like the new Notepad enough and want to remove the old one I am not sure how you go about that.

I suppose you could jut leave the original program on your system unless someone else comes along with info. about removing it.

Kemistri 15:26 01 Apr 09

NP++ is a very popular and very effective code editor used by web developers and programmers.

It has no relation to Windows Notepad other than a similar name that intentionally reflects the similar uses. It doesn't replace Windows Notepad, apart from meaning that you will never go back to using it after trying NP++, but there is nothing to stop you from assigning whatever file type associations you like, within reason.

birdface 15:37 01 Apr 09

Thank you both.I now realize it is a different program, Its just the same name that confused me into thinking it was part of the Microsoft Notepad.I will be keeping both now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5