Privatisation of Dell

Al94 05 Feb 13
  Al94 05 Feb 13

Sorry, link need subscription to view full content, this is better http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/05/dellsilverlakebuydell/

Al94 05 Feb 13

Third time lucky! This should work!

fourm member 05 Feb 13
  fourm member 05 Feb 13

It is interesting that one of the stated reasons is that a private company can take the time to do things right whereas a publicly traded company has to deliver every quarter.

Al94 05 Feb 13

Presumably the advantages are to allow time for prolonged radical restructuring and repositioning without public scrutiny and remove the threat of a hostile takeover bid.

morddwyd 05 Feb 13

Are Dell nationalised then? I didn't know that.

fourm member 06 Feb 13

morddwyd

Another of the joys of the English language.

I suppose 'taken private' would be better than 'privatisation' though that sounds like something that happens in the stationery cupboard during the office party.

morddwyd 06 Feb 13

I was still confused, but now I've read the news story (should have done that first!) I understand.

Dell is returning to private ownership, though it was never publicly owned!

As you say, the joys of the English language, like public schools which are very private!

Al94 06 Feb 13

Dell was a publically listed company owned by its shareholders. Michael Dell(with the aid of investors)is buying the company back from the shareholders so it becomes a private company again. This is how it was 25 years ago before Dell was floated on the stock market.

morddwyd 07 Feb 13

And?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: When is the OnePlus 2 coming out? July…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message