Price of petrol Vs diesel

WhiteTruckMan 23:26 01 Jun 09

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that the price gap between petrol and diesel seems to be narrowing? Only last year there was about 10 ppl difference, but now it seems to be about 3-4.

Are/were the oil companies monkeying around with the prices again in anticipation of the summer driving season, or have the government been dipping their sticky little fingers into our wallets again?

WTM

tein 23:32 01 Jun 09

& going back up!!

WhiteTruckMan 23:44 01 Jun 09

but is petrol going up faster, or derv slower, if you get my meaning? And why the difference in rate of price rise?

WTM

Stuartli 00:17 02 Jun 09

The price of petrol is now virtually at £1 a litre again due, I understand, to speculators on the oil markets.

At one time I strongly suspected that a certain GB and AD were encouraging fuel price rises to boost tax revenues but, cynic though I am, it seems I was on the wrong track (or at least I hope so).

Interesting too to remember that the more profits the fuel companies make, the more they pay in tax......

OTT_Buzzard 00:55 02 Jun 09

Fuel companies claim this to be the result of supply and demand - i.e. they charge as much as they can for the best selling fuels. Quite the opposite from manufacturing economics where volume *usually* results in reduced costs....

It may be that the recession has resulted in reduced comsumption of diesel from, for example, haulage companies.

jack 08:18 02 Jun 09

commodity sells for as much the seller can get, and they will juggle the prices to suit any market situation.

Picklefactory 08:24 02 Jun 09

I also don't understand why diesel is more expensive than petrol in the first place. I was under the impression that Mr Diesel invented it initially due to the cost and difficulty in refining petrol, and developed the diesel engine as it could pretty well run on any old rubbish that could be produced cheaply and quickly.

Is it just tax?

Picklefactory 08:29 02 Jun 09
  Quickbeam 08:43 02 Jun 09

"developed the diesel engine as it could pretty well run on any old rubbish that could be produced cheaply and quickly."

I seem to recall from some past reading that that was true, and that it was much safer than petrol for use in submarines in WW1. The early tanks would give severe carbon monoxide poisoning to the operators, so in a submarine where you couldn't open a window...

Quickbeam 08:44 02 Jun 09

and a lesser fire hazard.

OTT_Buzzard 09:34 02 Jun 09

I was under the impression that Mr Diesel invented it initially due to the cost and difficulty in refining petrol

I seem to remember reading that it was 'invented' by a US farmer to be extracted from peanut oil, hence allowng an easily available source of fuel for all and sundry.
Since then, oil companies and governments around the world have worked tirelessly to ensure that the only real volume sources are available from crude oil and / or oil refineries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…