A pressing problem

chub_tor 14:28 09 Jul 14
Answered

Not having had the advantage of National Service (I was deferred during my apprenticeship and it stopped before I completed) nor of ever serving in any of Her Majesty's Services it follows that I am completely hopeless at pressing my trousers. All other garments are fine but I have always struggled to make my trousers neat and with creases in all the right places. Any tips would be welcomed by me (my wife absolutely refuses to press my trousers).

bumpkin 14:51 09 Jul 14

A trouser press springs to mind but I have never used one. Not something I normally have to do but when I have had to I could get a reasonable result if I spent enough time on it. Keep practicing or take them to the laundry is another option.

Aitchbee 15:22 09 Jul 14

After washing trousers in the washing machine at the appropriate temperature [usually 30 C], take 'em out immediately and holding 'em up at the 'belt end' with one hand, 'brush' 'em [vertically] down with the out-stretched fingertips of the other hand a few times. You might consider laying the carefully folded trousers [while still damp] on an iron-board and using similar [horizontal] brush strokes, this time with the palm of your hand[s].

These simple actions may render the trousers 'adequately respectible' [ after hanging up to dry] for normal usage. [No ironing neccessary]

Aitchbee 15:36 09 Jul 14

... another method, that does not require an iron, is to lay the damp trousers in 'crease position' [overnight] in a 'sandwich' of 2 large sheets of brown paper underneath an easily accessible floormat. [the heavier the better.]

... sheets of newspapers are OK to use only if the trousers are of a dark colour ... otherwise the newsprint would be transferred to the trouser material :o[

mart7 15:46 09 Jul 14

Underneath the mattress on a bed works ok overnight,no ironing required

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 09 Jul 14

My good lady went away for a few days and was surprised on her return to find all the washing done and ironed and put away.

I just kept quiet and didn't tell her I had bundled it all off to the "Iron Lady" (no not that one), a few quid well spent.

:0)

john bunyan 16:26 09 Jul 14

chub_tor

This was one of the things we were first taught in the RM - before all else, together with sock darning, hand washing and personal hygiene. MechKB 2 's link has it in more detail than I would have remembered!

john bunyan 17:01 09 Jul 14

MechKB 2

I was never taught to darn a sock in the Marines

Then you obviously are a young "skin" and joined after woollen socks and "boots,SV" were in use. To wash such socks the water had to be, like Goldilock's porridge , neither too hot nor cold, to avoid shrinking or hardness! I bet you even had access to washing machines!! Your green lid, however, was, I am sure, just as hard to obtain as the "old" days. (said he, with lamp a'swinging)

Woolwell 17:18 09 Jul 14

I was taught to darn a sock when I joined the Andrew. The first thing that many of us did was buy a steam iron. For pressing trousers don't have the iron too hot but get the steam right. Be careful with the creases otherwise you end up with tram lines. However with bell bottoms you had horizontal creases as they folded up in pay book size. I prefer to do my own shirts and am quicker and dare I say better than my wife.

Many modern trousers don't need a great deal of pressing if any.

Practice makes perfect.

BT 17:50 09 Jul 14

with bell bottoms you had horizontal creases as they folded up in pay book size

Reminds me of the time when my Sister pressed my Nephew's Sea Cadet trousers with straight up & down creases thinking she was helping him out. She wasn't very popular to say the least!

john bunyan 17:53 09 Jul 14

MechKB 2

This will sound like the Monty Python 4 Yorkshiremen joke, but in 1955 we earned 4/- a day, had black webbing for field use (11 tins of Kiwi in first week) , had white "blues" webbing (White Blanco) , all brass (no staybrights) polished with Brasso , hand washing ( no TV, Washing machines, steam irons), blanket pins - no sleeping bags. Only SBS and CL had wooly pullies and bergens . Things rapidly improved such that these days, I am pleased to say, the modern lads have probably the best personal kit in the world (not sure about boots, as ever).

Sorry for slight digression from thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…