Prepare now for the next catastrophe...

Quickbeam 10:58 04 May 09

click here as predicted by the FE, it will be 1975 street stand pipes Qs again this year;)

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:01 04 May 09

I am beside myself with fear and foreboding.

G

Quickbeam 11:21 04 May 09

Could today's resource hungry generation live with the restrictions imposed during the mid seventies click here

I was only 19 in 1975 and my parents lived through the war, so It was considered to be embracing the community spirit of the blitz and all that to wait patiently to fill your water barrels. If that happened again would we have gang run stand pipes and water knifings over the control of them...?

Stuartli 11:32 04 May 09

Our water has been off this morning due to a burst water main, so it might have come in handy...:-)

The most annoying thing about so-called water shortages in the UK is that there is absolutely no need for such events.

Enough rain falls on Scotland and Wales alone to serve the UK all year round with plentiful supplies of water.

All it requires is the equivalent of a national water grid (something that was, in fact, suggested nearly 20 years ago); however, because it's not oil that's involved, it was put on the back burner on the grounds of cost.

Quickbeam 11:44 04 May 09

If you Google 'water shortage', you will get quite a lot of reasons why water can be as powerful a reason as oil for starting wars and causing deathly droughts.

Ah, it's stopped raining now so I can do something more constructive for the rest of the Bank Holiday...

Forum Editor 11:49 04 May 09

and in the summer a rain drop was indeed a rare and wonderful thing. Nevertheless the local tennis club continued to water the lawns around the pool, water came out of the showerhead, and believe it or not, life in the small town went on normally. There were not piles of corpses in the streets, and no queues of thirst-ravaged people at standpipes.

Somehow we'll probably make it through the summer, although Waitrose will no doubt see a run on exotic bottled waters. People will continue to fill their hot tubs and swimming pools. There'll be harrumphing letters to The Times, and government-slashing posts in web forums.

Then will come Winter, and a new flu virus to scare the pants off those whose lives would be empty deserts if they didn't have something to feel gloomy about.

Bingalau 13:04 04 May 09

FE. Yes, this country is full of the proverbial "Pessimistic Characters with the Crab Apple Faces" that Bing Crosby used to sing about.

Stuartli 13:27 04 May 09

Similar story around the south of France, including Cannes and Nice.

wiz-king 16:42 04 May 09

I don't think it will work here, shortage of underground rain.

"Drainstore underground rainwater harvesting system"

Play place the punctuation.

dukeboxhero 19:47 04 May 09

Im sure if it happens Scotland will wellcome you all up here with open arms,We have to much of the stuff,

laurie53 19:48 04 May 09

"Enough rain falls on Scotland and Wales alone to serve the UK all year round "

And if they charged say just one penny per 100,000 litres they'd be richer than Saudi!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…