Power cut this morning

Seth Haniel 10:22 30 Nov 10

cut the full hospital and Hartlepool area off - was on the telephone when it happened and that cut off - even my mobile went (Orange) luckily it is twinned with t-mobile but had to go outside to get a signal on that

all back on after half hour and Orange popped back up

So for while totally cut off with no phone, mobile or electricity.

Seth Haniel 14:50 30 Nov 10

were left without electricity this morning after a power cut.

The cut affected large parts of Hartlepool and also left homes and workplaces without electricity in Billingham and areas of Peterlee.

Power firm CE Electric UK said investigations are underway to find the cause of the cut, which took place at around 9.45 this morning.

The company said most of the electricity was back on within 10 minutes although some places were still left without electricity at 11am.
click here

lotvic 20:31 30 Nov 10

Hope that doesn't happen too often this winter.
I must remember to buy some hot water bottles just in case :)

Forum Editor 21:43 30 Nov 10

with no phone, mobile or electricity."

and instantly your world goes back a hundred and twenty years or so. It happened to me once, when I was in Russia. I had travelled to a smallish (and rather beautiful) town called Taganrog to meet someone. I checked into my hotel late in the evening, and was lying in a hot bath when suddenly all the lights went out.

Muttering things about rural Russian hotels I got out, got dressed, and went downstairs, only to discover that the whole town was dark, or at least the part that I was in was dark. All power had failed - no lights, no phones, no TV or radio, no nothing. It was like that all night and for most of the next morning, by which time I felt as if I had stepped back into the 18th century.

It's a precarious thing, this 21st century infrastructure of ours. We depend utterly on our electricity generating stations.

gengiscant 08:11 01 Dec 10

Here in my little part of Edinburgh, we had three or 4 power cuts last Saturday. The first at about 0320, its quite amazing how dark your world suddenly becomes without all the ambient light from standby lights, street lights and in my case as its mainly blocks of 6 flats round here,the stair lights were not on either which shine through the uncurtained windows adding to the ambient light.
Very dark and very spooky.
Now I have been in the middle of Dartmoor at night many years ago,when I was in the marines, but it was a dam sight lighter then than it was here in doors on Saturday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…