Poverty or Enterprise!!

spuds 13:20 25 Aug 08

No doubt most of us have seen television programmes like Dragon's Den and Secret Millionaire, and the portrayal of those that want, and those that have. Sometimes in conflict with each other, as to the way to achieve!.

About last Christmas time, we had a change of evening newspaper delivery person. From the young school boy, to an elderly but seemingly fairly fit lady. After a few months, the round was taken over by the elderly lady's 'single mum' daughter and her two young children (5/8 years). This week we have had a new delivery schoolboy, and it appears that the weekly going rate is a little over £25.00 for the 6 evenings. It also came to light, that the grandma and daughter were saving up partly, so as to take the children on one of their first holidays.

Now was this poverty or enterprise, and do you have a similar story to tell?.

GRIDD 13:47 25 Aug 08

Poverty and Determination.

They aren't sitting on their asses thinking they're down and out, they seem determined to provide for themselves.

Pineman100 17:37 25 Aug 08

is delivered by a lad on a bike, in the usual way.

But our Sunday paper is delivered - believe it or not - by a boy of about 12 who is driven around his paper round by his mum, in a silver BMW.

For me, that somehow doesn't seem to be quite in the spirit of the thing.

Brumas 17:55 25 Aug 08

Exactly my sentiments. To me, the whole idea of a child taking on the job is to earn some pocket money, this they achieve by their own efforts.

Freezing cold,rainy dark mornings in the winter are all part of the realisation that Life is thus and when they eventually leave school, a full-time job will necessitate full-time attendance.

My daughter had such a paper round and, like most kids, took the rough with the smooth. The only time I helped her was one morning when she had had her bike stolen the morning after one of those horrible school jabs. She could hardly carry the bag but wouldn't give up, so I was her donkey that morning in the pouring rain. Next morning she was back to normal.

That was many moons ago but that was how it works or should work,IMHO.

robgf 00:22 26 Aug 08

I cant believe that the going rate is £25 for an evening round!

The majority of our corner shop paper boys/girls, are OAPs, as the owner got tired of trying to find enough youngsters to fill the jobs. Which was surprising to me, as there used to be a waiting list for rounds in my day.

My Sunday round was three of the old style canvas bags, chock full, for 75p. Probably wouldn't be allowed now.

Chegs ®™ 14:51 26 Aug 08

My 1st paper-round was huge(compared to my friends)and I was paid accordingly,twice their weekly wage of £1:20.My brother had done the same round as myself a couple of years earlier and he was paid £1:10.I only ceased doing the paper round as I secured a milk-round instead for £4.50 a week.The milk-round was a 4am start and after falling asleep in lessons a few times,the woman I worked for was told I was unable to start work until 7:30am.This meant I was being dropped off for school with my uniform smelling of sour milk.There were other milk rounds I could've done,with much better wages(£15 per week)but competition was fierce for these and dismissal frequent for minor indescretions.I enjoyed my round so much I continued it for some time after leaving school,only leaving when I secured full-time employment.

jakimo 15:13 26 Aug 08

The four free weekly local papers are delivered be the 50+ age group and always on the right day of issue,when youngsters were delivering they could be 2\3 days late

GRIDD 21:53 26 Aug 08

I was paid 2p a paper.

spuds 11:26 28 Aug 08

Ticked as resolved. Thanks everyone for the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant