The potential dangers of transported lithium batteries

TopCat® 12:49 04 Feb 14
Answered

Some of these dangers are explained on [this video clip] and in its accompanying text. Certainly made me sit up and take notice I can tell you! TC.

TopCat® 13:57 04 Feb 14

Sorry about the broken link and double post. Have been trying to rectify this but because of the double post rule I had to wait over 60 minutes - trying again now. TC.

Here's the link again: click here

Woolwell 14:04 04 Feb 14

When the Boeing 787 Dreamliner first came out it suffered from lithium ion battery problems.

Aitchbee 14:27 04 Feb 14

... reminds me of 2nd year chemistry class when teacher demonstrated the extreme explosive nature [when added to water] of the metals potassium and sodium which are in the same chemical group as lithium in the periodic table.

wiz-king 14:35 04 Feb 14

Been known about for a long time hence Royal Mails restricted list.

Aitchbee 14:41 04 Feb 14

... magnesium needed some coaxing ...

oresome 18:00 04 Feb 14

When the Boeing 787 Dreamliner first came out it suffered from lithium ion battery problems

I suspect it probably still does. Measures were taken to contain the problem if it occurred but I don't recall they ever got to the bottom of why, despite many man-hours being spent.

Time will tell.

Forum Editor 18:57 04 Feb 14

I suspect it probably still does.

Me too.

morddwyd 20:40 04 Feb 14

I have not read the link, but I have read the story elsewhere, and they were at pains to point out that this was a totally different problem to the Dreamliner one, and is only concerned with consumer cells - phones, cameras, watches, and the myriad other lithium ion powered devices

onthelimit1 11:45 05 Feb 14

From wiz-king's link

Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation or sent with but not contained in equipment are prohibited

Oh dear - I've ordered (and received) a number of these as relacements for phones over the last year or two.

spuds 17:53 05 Feb 14

Perhaps within the introduction title "The potential dangers of transported lithium batteries", but nothing to do with the article in the link, and more for a warning, especially for those with young children around.

Lithium and similar type batteries are causing grave concern within the NHS due to the 'power and substance' of this item. Quite a number of children have been found to have swallowed these type of batteries, some with fatal consequences due to the lateness of finding the item had actually been swallowed at an earlier period, before the battery had started to do its evil deed.

Where I live, at least one child as lost its life within the last year, possibly others as well. This particular incident is now in the hands of legal adviser's after the coroner's report, due to the possible the hospital had dealt with the situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant