Postieto leave your parel next door

SparkyJack 12:34 PM 13 Jun 12

A news item today suggests that postmen-ladies are be allowed to seek to leave mail with neighbour if it cannot be deliverd to the intended address.

My postie has done this with items that would not go into my letterbox for years.

Does this mean he has been breaking the rules all this time? ! Or perhaps they are bowing to already common practice

Strawballs 12:37 PM 13 Jun 12

I'm with you on this one I thought that was the standard practice, that is what the cards are for that they post through letting you know which house took it in for you!

Clapton is God 12:42 PM 13 Jun 12

This is bad news.

If I order something which I know will be too big to go through the letterbox I always have it delivered to my office.

I don't know my neighbours and don't want anything left with my neighbours.

A backward step.

Strawballs 12:44 PM 13 Jun 12

Clapton is God if you addressed the item to your office then it will still go to your office why would they take it to your neighbours?

SparkyJack 13:02 PM 13 Jun 12

To echo Strawballs To specify an address that will be available to receive the item is the way to if your neighbour is not ideal [not to suggest a neighbour may dishonest they too may out a lot]

onthelimit1 13:06 PM 13 Jun 12

'I don't know my neighbours'

That seems a bit antisocial! :-)

finerty 13:06 PM 13 Jun 12

What happens whne the neighbour is out and their neoghbour is out etc etc and so on do they then take the parcel back to the depot

Clapton is God 13:15 PM 13 Jun 12

Err, large parcels that I haven't ordered but have been sent to me by someone else, perhaps???

interzone55 13:55 PM 13 Jun 12

I'm in two minds about this.

If you live next door to the estate crime lords then you are unlikely to ever get your post. I wonder if there's a way to tell Royal Mail that under no circumstances should they do this.

With regards to the postie already doing this, then yes, they've been breaking the rules unless you have a prior agreement for your mail to be redirected.

I should say that at my last address, the first time I ever met my neighbour, after five years, was to collect a parcel that had been left at their house. I never saw them again, although I was there for another nine years...

lotvic 17:15 PM 13 Jun 12

Been doing it for years in area where I live. It works well as postie always puts a note through to say where he's left parcel.

I suppose if you don't want postie to do that then a notice on your door to say so would be sufficient.

lotvic 17:28 PM 13 Jun 12

Don't panic, it seems you are going to be asked ClickHere

"Royal Mail said it will write to every address in the UK this Autumn asking them if they will be happy for their neighbours to receive their undelivered packages.

Importantly no one – particular householders who have a prickly relationship with a neighbour – will be forced to accept the new arrangement. "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November