postage stamps to "euro"

acein1 15:39 28 Nov 08

hi can anyone tell me why i have to purchase a "euro" stamp to post to south of ireland (eire),when the person in (eire) dose not have to purchase a british stamp to return my post, after all i live in the uk, and the currancy is sterling,NOT EURU, many thanks

acein1 15:52 28 Nov 08

thanks for your responce, but i just came from the post office after posting some xmas cards to "eire" and the cost was 50p each "for euro stamps as ,required ( according to the post master) ???

Pine Man 15:54 28 Nov 08

I have just checked this out on the Royal Mail web site and according to that, Southern Ireland is overseas and it requires UK currency stamps.

Clapton is God 16:05 28 Nov 08

When the postmaster says 'Euro' stamps he's referring to the Euro geographical area, not the cost.

Condom 00:42 29 Nov 08

I think you may be a little confused. The Royal Mail issues UK stamps with an "E" on them for all countries in Europe or at least I think they still do. These stamps are like stamps with "1st" or "2nd" on them rather than actual monetary value so are good value as you can use them even after a price rise.

Forum Editor 08:18 29 Nov 08

cooperate to handle one another's cross-border mail. There's one charge for all letters to Europe, and your Post-master was referring to that.

Bingalau 09:31 29 Nov 08

I don't buy stamps I just hand my mail to the nice man/woman in our little post office and pay cash and off it all goes, whether it's to Australia, Germany or anywhere in the U.K.

laurie53 19:57 29 Nov 08

Anyone else remember the days when you simply left your stamped mail on the table by the front door and the postie collected it as he made the delivery?

Forum Editor 23:13 29 Nov 08

I certainly don't remember those days - when did that happen, and where?

Bingalau 08:11 30 Nov 08

laurie53. me neither, I can remember when stamps went up in price to two old pence though. But there were plenty of post boxes to put your mail in. Of course maybe in rural areas the postie might have picked up mail like that, to save the farmer a journey in to the nearest post box. I can see that happening because most posties have always been helpful.

Chegs ®™ 14:51 30 Nov 08

I am only 45 but remember my mother giving the postie an xmas card & birthday card.He was always cheerful & would chat to anyone of any age.He delivered the mail on our estate for 20+ years,and always was finished by lunchtime.The present postie doesnt even reply to anyone saying "Hi",is a different guy every few weeks and our post rarely arrives before 2pm.

The Post Office or Royal Mail(whoever the actual delivery is serviced by)seems to still be the same people sorting the mail as after our friendly postie retired,anything for the entire estate that had our door number on got delivered to us and this still happens today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos