Post Office Bah Humbug

Seth Haniel 13:01 29 Nov 07

card through door stating post to be collected from depot with £1.10 to pay - Depot 9 miles away (as crow flies)option put stamps to value of £1.10 on card and give in at local post office. 6 days later said item arrives - a christmas card in slightly larger than normal envelope.

Happy Christmas Post office

crosstrainer 13:08 29 Nov 07

Large tin of Quality Street, gift for elderly relative living in Cornwall...cost of chocs £7.99 cost of postage? 12.00

Great value for money :(

Monoux 14:31 29 Nov 07

Last year they apparently there was an amnesty for Xmas cards ( musn't use the CxxxxxxxS word as it is not December yet )but this year I expect the excuse is that they need to get back some of the money they have had to pay out for the posties pay rise

crosstrainer 14:55 29 Nov 07

This is why I do not use the post office as a carrier, preferring the flexibility, and above all reliable service of a carrier. I dispatch, and receive goods daily, but ceased using the post office over 2 years ago when items (all computer related) went missing, were not delivered on time etc. Ok, they were all insured, and I lost nothing except a little of my (I hope) good reputation. The chocs are just an example, I paid the money and that's that. I have cards to send (as do we all) which vary in size. This year, we are obliged to take them to the post office, see which "slot" they fit into, and are charged accordingly.

The system, frankly is broken. I see a day (very close) when the good old gpo (oops shows age) no longer carry letters or cards, and if they do not get their act together on parcels they will dissappear altogether.

I am now considering employing a full time driver next year, if the volume of goods sent continues to rise.

Seth Haniel 15:03 29 Nov 07

a long time back - with internet and phone being my main connection to the outside world, xmas cards are hand produced (on PC) and hand delivered to the close circle of friends

crosstrainer 15:11 29 Nov 07

That's great if they all live within your range...But if I hand delivered (I have no artistic ability so couldn't design my own although I can teach people how to :) ) every card I'd better go now, and won't be back til late Feb! :)

Bingalau 15:17 29 Nov 07

Last guaranteed delivery post to Australia for Christmas cards, is the 7th of December I think. Just a reminder!

crosstrainer 15:28 29 Nov 07

Oh dear, must be similar for NZ then...I'd better get onto the airlines and book a ticket :)

Seth Haniel 15:29 29 Nov 07

can I have that 'guaranteed' in writing.
More like pot luck on delivery these days

Forum Editor 18:57 29 Nov 07

is when I send things via special delivery. I like the 'guaranteed to be delivered before noon on the next working day' aspect of it, and the fact that not once, in all the hundreds of times I've sent something via this service has it ever failed me.

Otherwise I use email for all correspondence - fast, almost free, and reliable.

crosstrainer 19:02 29 Nov 07

Used the "guaranteed to be delivered" on numerous occasions many failures. Perhaps area specific?

Even so, will never return to them now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…