Possible Lloyds TSB Scam

€dstowe 13:29 21 Nov 06

Just spoken to my father who told me he had a call this morning saying "This is an important call from Lloyds TSB. Press any key to continue." He thinks the call was pre-recorded.

The key he pressed was the one to end the call. a "1471" told him the number was withheld. He rang his local branch of Lloyds TSB (he does bank with them and, rather oddly and like me, has a direct line to them) and they knew nothing. He rang the 0845 general number and they know nothing but suggested it might be something to do with the credit card division. They denied it as well.

I'm not saying this is a scam for certain but it's suspicious, especially as he says the woman saying the message sounded quite aggressive and not all all conducive to encouraging anyone to continue.

anchor 13:48 21 Nov 06

I agree; it sounds most suspicious and probably is some form of scam.

Wisely he terminated the call.

Z1100 13:58 21 Nov 06

just not answering my phone unless the Caller is ID'ed. Clearly that means I have to tell my phone who is who and if 'the bank' or other important calls come in they can leave a message and I can check the number they leave before I call back.

Paranoid Hanx!
K.

g0slp 14:48 21 Nov 06

It's common sense.

The way I look at it, if something's genuine a message will be left. We don't answer any call that is "witheld" or (worse) "International". Ihave no time for <Kevin>, <Sharon> etc from east of Suez trying to flog me a mobile phone contract, financial services or anything else.

Caller ID is great!

oresome 19:08 21 Nov 06

I recently received a letter from Lloyds TSB advicing me that unfortunately they were unable to contact me by phone with service enhancements that might interest me because I was listed on the telephone preference service.

They included a reply for me to sign if I wished, giving them permission to contact me by telephone.

Proves the TPS does work and Lloyds take note of it.

Totally-braindead 19:55 21 Nov 06

I cannot see any legitimate business, especially a bank, phoning you with one of these if you wish to continue press ****
In my opinion it has to be a scam.
My advice for what its worth, whenever anyone calls, it doesn't matter who they say they are, and they ask you to press buttons on your phone to continue the call just disconnect. If it concerns you that it may be genuine by all means call your bank or whatever by their normal number but don't press any buttons.

Personally €dstowe I think your father showed extreme good sense and if everyone did this then this sort of thing would stop as they wouldn't be able to make any money off it. But sadly this is not the case.

Picklefactory 00:04 22 Nov 06

I also bank with LTSB and also have direct contact at times, and have had numerous calls from them for various helpful reasons, but ALL of them have been from real people, who identify themselves correctly and have NEVER asked for any sensitive information over the phone (Not that your caller did). Definitley sounds strange in my experience to get an automated message. Even the sometimes unwelcome, bi-annual 'Account review' courtesy call is from a bank official, never recorded. The common sense approach was well executed in my opinion.

€dstowe 18:39 22 Nov 06

Nothing further to report - no repercussions so I'll call it a day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017