Possible HIV Cure?

babybell 21:44 14 Dec 10

Its early news at the moment, but this story is currently breaking over Twitter

click here

Forum Editor 23:06 14 Dec 10

director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who has been studying HIV/AIDS for almost 30 years, said while this is an interesting proof of concept, it’s absurdly impractical.

Technically a possible cure then, but it is a near fatal procedure,incredibly expensive, extremely painful, and almost impossible to duplicate.

I don't think anyone should be getting excited about this, on Twitter or anywhere else.

carver 08:44 15 Dec 10

It might be impractical, carry all sort of risks and is a one off situation but it has worked up to now.

Isn't nearly all medicine a trial and error, they have found some thing that appears to work on HIV albeit by accident, and up to now all they could do was suppress the virus, nothing more.

"Doesn't sound like much of a cure to me"
It would if you suffered from HIV, it may be a slim hope and may never turn out to be practical but for some people any hope is better than none and don't forget science fiction has a way of turning into science fact very easily with modern technology.

interzone55 08:53 15 Dec 10

I'm not sure I trust Twitter as a news source to be honest. Or Fox News either...

interzone55 09:44 15 Dec 10

"Lots of people are stupid enough to think that, if something is curable, it doesn't matter if you catch it."

How very true.

Far too many people think that antibiotics are a suitable alternative to condoms, and the morning after pill is form of contraception.

I'm always saddened at the queue outside my local 24 hour chemist on a Sunday morning with shivering girls still in their Saturday night "finery" waiting for their pill...

Quickbeam 10:15 15 Dec 10

"The day they announce they have a cure for HIV is the day to sell your shares in condom manufacturers."
I've only just invested my entire worldly wealth in them after the Popes change of heart...!

WhiteTruckMan 20:33 15 Dec 10

quite some time back of someone (apparently) in the final stages of full blown aids being given a total blood transfusion. I cant remember if his blood was replaced entirely, or if it was circulated outside his body, heated, then sent back in (I admit I may be confusing two different cases).

Results appeared to point to a near miraculous improvement in condition.

Does this ring any bells in anyone else?

WTM

Quickbeam 08:55 16 Dec 10

Keith Richards routinely has his blood changed every other month. He then trades it back to Columbian dealers... apparently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos