Population increases threefold

jakimo 13:10 21 Sep 09

Although Strictly & Xfactor may by topical just now perhaps we should be showing concern about the planets 3 fold population increase over the last fifty years (1959-2009,David Attenborough,BBC radio 4),thats in the lifetime of every PCA readers.

Scientist strive to eradicate disease,and prolong life,and at the same time we go on reproducing at an unprecedented rate......So we have scientist working flat out to keep us living healthier and longer and longer...and a group of boffins at the same time is wondering how this ongoing population explosion is going to be fed, watered and fulfil their general needs in the coming decades,the earths natural resources will not sustain demands of such a large population,the future don`t look bright!

Is there a solution to this dilemma?

Cymro. 13:20 21 Sep 09

The profits of doom and gloom have been predicting something of this sort for generations.
click here
but still we stumble on from one wrong prediction to the next.

I think we will manage one way or another for a while yet with a few world wars, famines, disasters natural or otherwise, pandemics, and what have you at least till the scientists and/or politicians come up with something better.

Cymro. 13:23 21 Sep 09

click here

Would the above be of help perhaps? banning the sale of such things that is!!!!!!

kidsis 13:35 21 Sep 09

the future may not look bright but I don't think it's the immediate future we need to worry about. Whatever attempts we make now to solve these problems will no doubt not be considered enough, in the distant future. But we can only do our best.

Cymro. 13:40 21 Sep 09

Just like global warming and such like things we will solve this one on a "just in time" basses, well hopefully anyway!!!!

Quickbeam 13:57 21 Sep 09

"...for a while yet with a few world wars..."
I think he means that if we took population increase/control; seriously, the world war option wouldn't be necessary.

Quickbeam 13:58 21 Sep 09

When was he on, I'd like to catch up on that on the i-player as it's something I've believed in for a long time?

OTT_Buzzard 14:22 21 Sep 09

Food for thought: if the population decreases what happens to the economic structure? I can't think of any (western) country's economy that doesn't depend on an increasing population.

I can't remember the name of the organisation (something like the Optimum Population Trust?), but they were saying that 20m people is about right for the UK's resources. Naturally, they wouldn't say how to get the UK down to that level!

"seriously, the world war option wouldn't be necessary"

I don't think it would be that effective either. You're too likely to end up with no population at all, or losing the very segment of the population that is needed for procreation!

Quickbeam 14:57 21 Sep 09

I think it would be safe to assume that the number of persons killed in a third world war would eclipse the number killed in the first and second world wars combined.

But we've convinced ourselves that seals, squirrels, elephants etc need culling to protect the planet's resources, so it looks like a bloody human world war cull is to be the normal way for a while yet...

WhiteTruckMan 16:32 21 Sep 09

I think your assertion would only be true if you postulated the widespread use of nuclear, biological or chemical weapons against civilian populations.

WTM

Quickbeam 17:44 21 Sep 09

I've seen those and thought he's had some more to say on that recently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…